Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3970 & SD Cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3970 & SD Cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJ28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 3970 & SD Cards Reply with quote

Just purcahsed TTN2 (Bluetooth) and an Ipaq 3970 with a maxell 128mb SD card. The unit came preinstalled with Rom v2.10

I have looked through the posts with the unit locking up etc. and have applied the SD card fix from Compaq (even though it says a BT update)but the trouble is two fold:-

1) Unit is locking up with the card inserted.

2) More annoying TT and POI Warner say that they can not find the map. When I look at the device using file explorer the card is not shown. If I eject the card and re-insert it all is fine.

Really getting annoyed with it - any help??

Thanks

JJ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 3970 & SD Cards Reply with quote

The mention of BT in the SD driver update is, so far as I can tell, because there's a different version of the update for the non-Bluetooth 3900 series models (3950 and 3955).

All I can say is that yours in the only report of those drivers not working. I'd be inclined to suspect a faulty card. I wonder - have you any way of reformatting the card (desktop card reader, perhaps?).

I've never heard of a Maxell card before. Are there any markings on the back (if there are and you post them, it may allow me to identify who actually made the card)?

David
JJ28
Occasional Visitor

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. The markings on the back of the card are :-

SD-M128B1

0323 TA3958

Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Unfortunately I don't recognise those markings - but my knowledge is not comprehensive. The reason for asking is that there's only a limited number of on-card controllers and quite a few brands are actually rebadges of another (for example, quite a few brands are rebadged Sandisk).

If you've got another device to hand that will use SD cards, I'd try that - otherwise I'd try returning the card, possibly for one of another brand.

128MB cards are not expensive now. Indeed, you can pick up a good quality 256MB SimpleTech SD card from ebuyer.com for a little over 65 pounds when they have them in stock again. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some even cheaper cards out there.

3900 series iPAQs are usually not fussy about which SD cards they work with, but there's always the odd bad iPAQ and bad card that slips through.

If the iPAQ misbehaves with another card, either exchange the iPAQ at the retailer if they'll let you, or send it for service. With TomTom Navigator 2, you may prefer the latter route so you won't run in to activation problems (so long as HP's contractor makes sure, if they replace the motherboard, that they transfer the asset information across).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: