Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Post Code search in new GB Plus maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Code search in new GB Plus maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neiluk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Post Code search in new GB Plus maps Reply with quote

I have a Go classic which was bought just after launch so did not have the full post code database. I finally decided to upgrade the map followng upgrading to the latest firmware so as to add the post code search. Anyway I bought the new map through the TT website, loaded it up and...no post code search!! I know about the need to use "Navigate to PostCode" but when doing so the unit only accepts the first half of the post code i.e. TD5 - Kelso, and will not allow full post codes to be entered. I've contacted TT via the websote but no response so far, so my question is has anyone bought the updated UK map from the website and does it have the postcode search?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be getting an e-mail from TomTom in the next couple of days. It will apologise for getting it wrong (again!) and giving you a link to download the postcodes.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! An admission from TomTom that they got something wrong! :D

Now, I wonder if the postcode data has been updated from the original version supplied with the 300/500/700, and will it be made available to everyone who has the original?
neiluk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
You should be getting an e-mail from TomTom in the next couple of days. It will apologise for getting it wrong (again!) and giving you a link to download the postcodes.

Spot on, it arrived this morning! I've just emailed back to check that any map/postcode update will available FOC.
neiluk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a second email from TomTom with a link to download the postcode database separately. The email apologised for the file not being included in the main map download and said it was to be sorted in week or two.
junger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: full postcode Reply with quote

Hi All
This is a great site, keep it up!
My question is:
1 have a mio168 with tt app ver 5.00 map ver 571. I loaded the full postcode file into my SC/zip folder (overwriting the existing file) but still only get the first three postcode letters in and it behaves like the older vesion, ie bringing up the town. does anyone know if there is a working GB postcode file that allows the full postcode to be entered or have TT not sorted it out yet? Confused Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full postcode works just fine. When you tap 'Navigate to', you then tap the 'Next page' arrow in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and select 'Postcode'. Then tap in your postcode without any spaces.
junger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Full Postcode file Reply with quote

Thanx Tim
I have removed the existing GB file located in the SD/zip folder , then placed which contains the GB_postal (Postcodes) in the SD/zip folder, reset the mio, but still only get the normal 3 digit postcode option. any ideas to what im doing wrong thanks.
Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Postcode file Reply with quote

junger wrote:
then placed which contains the GB_postal (Postcodes) in the SD/zip folder

Can you clarify?

What did you do with the new download .exe or .zip and what file did you then put into the Zip folder?
junger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Postcode file Reply with quote

hi Andy
I downloaded a zip.rar file from a link in this forum. The lonk indicated that it was the file for the full postcode zip file.
I downloaded the zip file, extracted it into a folder, when i looked at the folder , enclosed was a zip folder within that folder was the following file (Great_Britain.Postal) with a file size of 8,623kb.

I opened my device and then opened the 'Storage Card' and located the zip folder, this folder already had a file called (Great_Britain.Postal) so I removed the existing file and copied over the downloaded (Great_Britain.Postal) file. Reset the mio168 and tried the postcode find option in the TT5. There appears to have been no change as I can only use the 3 digit entry and up comes the town. If i carry on with the digit entry then they are ignored. Hope you understand what i am doing and can help
Regards
Junger Smile
junger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: done it Reply with quote

i read on another post that tt5 looks at the main memery for the zip file, so i copied it from the sd card. works a treat but dont know why
Thanks to all Smile Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it all worked for you in the end. :D

Could you see if you can remember the link, because I've only been able to download an .exe or a zipped version of the same .exe, neither of which seemed to do anything.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sorted it now.
Redownloaded the zip version (which still had the .exe inside) Extracted and ran the setup.exe and this time saw an option to install to another location (advanced). Tried that, and it has written a new "great_britain.postal" that's 9,834kb to my PC.
junger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: postcodes Reply with quote

Andy
That is the same file i downloaded.
Glad to see it worked for you Smile Smile
sully29uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: post codes Reply with quote

hi, i have tomtom classic, and i am having the usual problems with the postcode, can somebody tell me where to download what i need and how to install it, many thanks.
dave sully

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: