Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One - Bug When Changing Maps (UK - USA)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One - Bug When Changing Maps (UK - USA)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom One - Bug When Changing Maps (UK - USA) Reply with quote

For some years I have used various PDA solutions with TomTom, I work in Los Angeles and the UK so keep both on a 1Gb SD card and switch between them

On TomTom3 it was a quick swop map set your Position as the GPS position on the new map and in 2 or 3 minutes it had a GPS lock

TomTom 5 removed this option, so now it could take 10-20mins to lock once a swap from UK to US maps was made as there was no option to set new GPS position in TomTom5,

I recently purchased a TomTom One, to do the same job abandoning the old PDA system, on the basis the new Sift3 chipset would be a better solution

Has worked fine with my UK+Europe Maps no problem,

But I have found the following bug (Using latest firmware), land in US swap from UK to US maps, leave TTone on roof of car to get a lock whist bags are sorted, No lock (Even after 45 mins), I checked GPS status and find 4 full strenght bars, all grey But on sat map, all 4 are in a straight line, unusually,

Anyway I gave up on it left it switched on drove to office, switched it off and left overnight, next morning switched on it got a lock straight away,

Returned to UK same thing 4 full strenght bars, all sats in a line! drove from Heathrow to Derby 3 Hours No LocK, switched it off left it 10 mins switched it on, locked straight away, sats now in correct posistion on map

Just repeated the trip this week and found the same again, but this time in LA, I switched it off after switching map and when switched on got a lock straight away.

So not sure (It may just be my unit), but if you travel and switch maps (Over a long distance), you may find you need to switch your unit off for a few mins then back on for it to lock,

Not sure of the reason, but it has worked for me every time

Richard
CTHindi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try clearing route before switching maps. My experience is TTN5 writes the route to memory and tries to continue the same route when you switch it on.

It could be a Bug when prior route can not be placed on current map.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,

Not thought of that, I will try that next time, I am in the UK till 28th December, I will make sure the route is cleared before shutting down when I leave, and see if that helps when restarting with the USA map on arrival

I will let you know

Cheers

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all sats in a row at 12 o'clock means the base data is missing or corrupt (as is to be expected after a transatlantic flight). You need to leave the unit alone until that is loaded - can take anything up to 12 minutes stationary with good sky view, and will mostly fail when moving (as you experienced).

Try resetting the ONE when you have switched maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, you are quite right in theory, but I have a nasty suspicion that there is something not quite right with some of SS3 chipsets - I have come across a few ONEs with exactly the same behaviour. Two units after a complete reset sitting next to each other (but not close enough to affect one another) - one would get a lock in under a minute, the other one would take ages, and it doesn't change whatever you do - swapping the cards around, resetting, restoring factory settings. But after the second units gets a lock for the first time and is used regularly, there is absolutely no difference in performance between the two.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen similar with the APOS 626 - it has firmware 3.0.2 - would you know what Firmware the GO receiver has?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSW3.1.1TomTom_3.1.00.07-C23B1.00
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz

I take your comment about leaving it standing, but I honestly know what I am doing I have been doing it enough years!

I did leave it stationary on the Car roof for 45mins with full sky view,, and it still gave the strange SAT display, fist few bars grey but at full strenght, even when moved to a position that would not allow reception, and the sats in a line at 12oc

Once it was switched on and off it reset and got a lock in a min or less as expected. so as I said I think its a bug, not my use of the unit thats faulty,

Richard
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One - Bug When Changing Maps (UK - USA) Reply with quote

I travel very frequently bewteen USA and UK with my TTG Classic and with a similar configuration of having all the maps on the one SD card and I have never had that problem. The TTG Classic does not have the fastest or most sensitive GPS engine but there was never any prolonged delay between getting good signal lock and the device figuring its correct location and showing it correctly on the appropriate map.

Tony
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone assist with suggestions as to where to get maps for the USA and possible Australia and New Zealand for the TTG 300. Are they available?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf747 wrote:
Can anyone assist with suggestions as to where to get maps for the USA and possible Australia and New Zealand for the TTG 300. Are they available?

www.tomtom.com

You can purchase them on an SD card or download them yourself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: