Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on GPS system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on GPS system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancerdoc999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Advice on GPS system Reply with quote

Hi all, new to forum and looking to buy a pda-based satnav system.
Had satnav on a BMW few years ago and loved it. Too expensive to buy in-car so want a cheaper more versitile unit. I need the pda for other things.

This site is very good and i'm getting a general idea about what is in/out but its too big to read and digest.

In regular gps users opinion, what would be a good pda based system to buy. What pda/docking unit/accessories would give me the best system. Money is not necessarily a problem but at the same time don't want to overdo things. I also don't really want loads of cables all over the car in order to achieve above. I have an Audi A4 and there doesn't seen like much space to put a unit without it blocking something else.

Also had an HP pda in the past and got very frustrated with the then version of Pocket PC. Found it awkward to use and annoyed the hell out of me. Has this now changed. I assume with pda's having more power and storage the windows based software must be more like a standard PC version. Anyone know?

Sorry about all the questions, but better to get advice from those that are in the know.

Cheers
lancerdoc999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. All my other gadgets (cameras etc) are Compact Flash based so would prefer to stick with these.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Ipaq 6340 which is PDA and quad band phone and TT5. Combined with Parrot CK3300 combined bluetooth car phone kit and sat nav receiver and Brodit power mount it works well. I get phone and sat nav instructions through car audio, which means I can use steering wheel volume controls for both. When making phone calls the sat nav is muted, but instructions still appear on the screen, and sat nav returns automatically when I hang up.

Also its a fully built in system so no trailing leads and no use of ciggy lighter adaptors. Just take Ipaq out of mount when I leave the car so nothing for the toe rags to steal - and the mount does not look like it is for a sat nav system so they dont break in just to see if you have left it in the glove bax.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: