Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - **Solved** Navigator hangs on iPaq 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

**Solved** Navigator hangs on iPaq 2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: **Solved** Navigator hangs on iPaq 2210 Reply with quote

I have tried to install TomTom Navigator on my new iPaq 2210 running ppc2003, and the installation succeeds but the application does not start.

I performed a hard reset on the PDA and installed TTN2 to main memory, on it's own no other software installed. I then upgraded to TTN2.24 and GPS 2.06. There were 3 TomTom Navigator icons 1 called TomTom Navigator and 2 called TomTom Navigator (2) all created in the programs menu not the start and programs menu. I then loaded the Maps of the UK onto the SD card.

When I attempted to run TT the screen flashed as if a new window was being drawn, then the programs menu was redisplayed. A second attempt to run TT results in the PDA locking for over an hour with the timer display. The only recovery from this is to soft reset PDA.

No specific error messages encountered on the PDA, except on installation when I got an activation failed message. I have 2 TomTom Navigator Licenses supplied by TomTom as part of the www.pocketgpsworld.com review team.

I finally tracked the problem down. Although I did a "clean" install I did not format the SD card.

The SD card had installed a full UK map with some additional custom POIs. I managed to install and run Navigator by formatting the SD card. Everything was then OK until I copied my custom POIs across, at which point Navigator started to fail in the manner described above. Removing the POIs resulted in the application running again.

After a great deal of additional research I finally tracked the error down to being the POI BMP file. This seems to be handled differently on the 5450/PPC2002 and 2210/PPC2003. Essentially the bmp files causing the error were saved as 24bit colour depth, resaving them at 16bit solved the problem.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: **Solved** Navigator hangs on iPaq 2210 Reply with quote

Mike,

I had some teething trouble with the 2210 and TTN2.

Multiple icons and non-running.

My problem was that I tried to use an SD card with maps for a previously registered TTN2 installation.

You obviously have to have maps downloaded on the specific PDA for each installation.
longwori
Regular Visitor

Well done Mike - that was an obscure problem. As this could stump a lot of us in the future, can it be made a priority topic so that it doesnt disappear down the list?

I fancy a 2210 one day and could imagine running into the same problem and not remembering quite where I saw the solution!
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

I'm a complete newbie who has just bought a 2210/emtac/Nav 2 combo. (A newbie who has been reading this website solid for six months though ! Well done lads, great site.)

So with brand new equipment, therefore a completely clean install, storing maps on a 256mb CF card, TTN2 seems to be running fine. Though I don't have any POI yet.

My disc only had TTN 2.00 on it, so I installed that first. Then went to the website to apply the 2.04 upgrade.

After both installations I was also presented with multiple icons as Mike describes in the program menu, and no sign of TTN2 listed in the start menu. But the application runs OK.

Regarding changing colour bit depth, could you help out a newbie please by describing how that is done ? Can it done on the PPC, or must it be done on the main PC then files transfered across ? I'm a bit confused not having encountered these yet. I use Photoshop profesionally, so not too much advice will be required there.

Weyhey !!! I'm finally 'in the club' !!! Pocketgps rules !!

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

You dont have to worry about the colour bit depth unless you are creating bitmaps (specifically .bmp files) to be displayed in TomTom as POI Icons.

In Photoshop you can "save as" and save your file as a .bmp file. This by default creates 24bit files. This cannot be handled by the iPaq2210. The workaround I used was to open the file in Microsoft Paint (wow hadnt yused that for years) and save as a 16bit .bmp.
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

Excellent, thanks for that Mike. After a bit of further reading I think I'm getting my head around POIs slowly, so I fully understand now what you mean.

One last bit of help for now please ?!

In the near future, I'm intending to download POI-Warner, then to download the PocketGPS safety camera database. Then I'll add sections from the full PocketGPS POI database.

So, do any of the icons used in the above cause similar problems on the 2210 ? i.e. will I need to manually change the colour depth of any icons used in the PocketGPS database/safety camera database, do you know ?

... don't know what I'd do without this site !

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

As far as I know none of the icons on the PocketGPS site, or the TomTom site have these problems.

sorg
Occasional Visitor

hmmm cool I have a similar problem on my 5550

after installing a coule of times multiple icons in prog menu and at ttn2 startup it keeps loading for ages but nothing happens.

conna try the same hope it works, but it is a stupid bug

kurt
Occasional Visitor

The reason why TT2 doesn't make a shortcut in the startup menu is due the fact there is max. of nine entries in this menu, on the iPaq2210 it is standard already full.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

This is a new feature in wm2003 but can be very irritating as evry time you install an application you get 2 more icons in the Program files directory.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: