Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 5 Problem w/ X50v & Socket BT GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 5 Problem w/ X50v & Socket BT GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EskimoPie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 5 Problem w/ X50v & Socket BT GPS Reply with quote

Hello, I've read lots of people having problems with TT5 but nobody quite has my symptoms. I have an x51v running 2003SE and TT5.21. I'm using a Socket BT GPS that has always worked fine for me in TT4 and MS Streets & Trips.

The GPS pairs up just fine and I can connect with it in TT5 using either the 'Other BT GPS' selection or the 'Other NMEA GPS' selection. What happens for me is that the black and yellow icon in the top right rotates at once per second indicating a solid connection with the GPS, but the sattelite signal strength bars and the GPS time at the top right don't update reliably. Even though the black & yellow icon is rotating solidly, the GPS time & sattelite info updates VERY sporadically... often going 20-30 seconds before it updates. Back in the map screen, it shows similar performance, with the map updating very sporadically and often greying out. This has NOTHING to do with a weak GPS signal as when the sattelite's DO update, they have plenty of signal strength showing, and TT4 works fine in the same locations. I always use 'Bluetooth Serial Port COM 7' to connect which is the outgoing serial port for the x50v... I've tried all BAUD rates via the 'Other NMEA GPS' option and they all give me the same results... solidly spinning disc, with very sporadic GPS updates.

All this time the connection light on my GPS blinks solidly and the black & yellow icon rotates solidly. It's like TT5 is getting the NMEA messages but throwing most of them out for some reason. What really frustrates me is that TT4 works just fine (aside from the freezing up every 15 minutes). What is TT5 doing that makes my updates so unreliable? And how do I fix it?

Thanks!
EskimoPie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, my PDA is a Dell x50v, not x51v.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 is notoriously memory and process power hungry. Do you have POIs showing? That can take a lot of power and make TT% very slow at responding. If so try clicking hide all POIs - you will still get any warnings that you have set up when near. That may make it better. Other than that simple solution I haven't a clue.
EskimoPie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought dude, but that doesn't seem to help... I paired the BT GPS with a laptop and captured some NMEA data in hyperterminal and it looks like a lot of the sentances are incomplete and there are extra carrage returns when I don't think there should be. I wonder if this is confusing TT5... but then why would TT4 not be so picky about it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: