Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi firmware updated to 3.10, is it worth the update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi firmware updated to 3.10, is it worth the update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikey0321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Nuvi firmware updated to 3.10, is it worth the update? Reply with quote

Hi all, just had an e-mail to say that the latest nuvi firmware has been released ver 3.10.
Has anyone tried it yet?
Does this cause any new problems? Confused
xantex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off all my favourites disappeared. I can't remember if that happened with previous updates - but I dont think it did.

Second, I can't get Map Source to connect to it. I got Map Source with my previous Quest - but I'm sure it connected with previous version and let me transfer favourites (waypoints) back and forth.

Third, tried the facility to change the splash screen. First jpg I tried was 1.4 Mb and wouldn't display. Replaced it with a 70 Kb image and that works OK. Doesn't seem to be any way of going back to the nuvi splash screen.
xantex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. And one fix they said they had put in was to fix potential shutdown when panning the map. Before updating to 3.10 that had never happened to me. Guess what - the damn thing shut down while panning the map 5 mins after updating.
And what does "Fix for active route page distance display" mean? Anyone know?
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favs went and trip meter which had 7000 miles has gone Crying or Very sad
scooter4483
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i get my nuvi in a few days, should i update to this 3.10 or do you guys recommend I keep it the way it is from factory? Thanks.

garmin nuvi 350 in wrb wrx
Steve54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you update to 3.10 I suggest you connect nuvi to your PC via USB then copy ALL files to PC as a backup. Then upgrade. If you have any problems you can always transfer all files back again.

Mind you, I've never actually done that. Anyone tried a full restore by copying all to PC then back again? Does it work OK?

Having said that, I got no real complaints about 3.10 apart from it overwriting all my favourites. If i'd known i would have copied em all to PC first then copied em back. I'll know next time. If you upgrade on a new nuvi then I guess you'll not have any favourites to get overwritten.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

The first time I updated to 3.1 my Nuvi didn't seem to accept it, and remained at 2.9 - tried again, and all fine, including my favourites... and no issues with the update (but then, no difference noticed either!)
scooter4483
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does anyone know what kind of changes 3.10 made?

garmin nuvi 350 in wrb wrx
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooter4483 wrote:
so does anyone know what kind of changes 3.10 made?

Try this : http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1171

dave
spikey0321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read all your comments on ver 3.10 I think I'll be sticking with ver2.90 as I currently have no problems.
I still have one question, one of the fixes mentions that the curent location is now displayed on the GPS page. Does this mean that the unit can now display a current longtitude and latitude? Confused
xantex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - look on the satellite signal strength page and it gives the lat and long in the bottom left hand corner.

Having got it installed I don't seem to be having any problems. The autozoom on a 2D map seems to go from a scale of 500 feet to 0.5 miles maximum, although so far I've not been on any long journeys to really test that.

You can set your own jpeg as the splash screen - it seems to require 800 x 600 resolution - greater than that and it may not display.

The main problem I had was losing my favourites. Just make sure you back up the waypoints folder before you upgrade - then you can copy it back afterwards if it gets overwritten.

Oh, and it fixes the problem whereby pressing the traffic button when no terffic device attached resets everything to default.
quinnmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: lat and long in the bottom left hand corner query Reply with quote

Having received my first SATNAV system, a Nüvi 300, on 7 March, I saved a few entries in the Favourites then uploaded the latest firmware, Rev 3.10. Like a few others I also lost my Favourites, so a lesson has been learnt there.

If I wish to report new safety cameras, or obsolete safety cameras, or report speed changes, how do I go about this? Is it just a case of pulling over adjacent to the safety camera and noting the latitude and longitute readings in the bottom left hand corner?

When zooming in, how does one tell what the scale is?

I think it would be really handy if the large zoom (- & +) icons were made invisible in the knowledge that you just touch the screen where they are

All-in-all I'm very impressed my the purchase of my Nüvi 300.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: