Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Buying experience Reply with quote

Hi folks
Thought i would share my experience. I have just took the plunge and upgraded from TTG (original) and got TTG700. I decided to look around all the various shops selling it, i was specifically trying to find one with the V6 + maps,(no point paying £450 and then having to pay £100+ to upgrade the maps!!!) To me, spending £450 is not like buying a big mac ....a lot of money, so, i want to know what i am getting. I was surprised to find that almost no shop was willing to open a box up, to power up the TTG in order to check the maps version, The only one (after a fair bit of persuasion and explaining the extra cost involved if the older maps) was Comet, however it had the old maps. eventually the only place i found one that MAY have had the newer maps was at PC World(not willing to open up a box,mind you, but, they were the only shop that had a fresh delivery just before xmas)Luckily upon checking it was indeed running the latest maps, however, they also said IF it was the older maps, they would exchange it (if still in wrapping etc...) for a newer model upon their next delivery. So can recommend PC world, simply because they have newer units than any other shop. Possibly Dixons/Curry's/Halfords etc... may have had the newer ones, but, simply by being unwilling to merely open a box.....................NO SALE!!!!
Cheers and Happy NY to all
Scotty
smcaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this not an issue that TT should sort out. i.e. by putting the version number on the outside of the box somewhere!!! I can kind of understand from the retailers POV why they were unwilling to open a box, I for one would not buy an item with an open box, having said that, If I were in your position then I would have done exactly the same and asked them to open the box to check the version.
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fully agree about TT putting it on the box, it would be a real pain to pay same money as someone else, but they have better maps!!
I also DO see the retailers point of view, although, if they open up one box per batch, no doubt the rest would be the same version, also,it is no hassle for one of the big shops to send it back to their distribution centre and have it re shrink wrapped, after all they could have made a £450 sale.
Thanks for the reply.
Scotty
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabozza wrote:

I also DO see the retailers point of view, although, if they open up one box per batch, no doubt the rest would be the same version, also,it is no hassle for one of the big shops to send it back to their distribution centre and have it re shrink wrapped, after all they could have made a £450 sale.
Thanks for the reply.
Scotty

To a retailer that isn't cost effective. Whilst the price tag might look high at £450+, what is actually in it for a retailer is tiny. The oprofit margins of Sat Nav systems are miniscule. It's the same reason why they won't open them up. If you decide to walk away after it's been opened, then they have a unit that they have to sell at a discount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: