Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 - Is it just me ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 - Is it just me ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: TTN5 - Is it just me ? Reply with quote

Would be grateful for your views.

I have just spent 2 days trying to install TTN 5 on a Tungten E2 with a 256MB SD card. A long and tedious process but thanks to some excellent posts and links here I have managed to negotiate the missing intallaide.dll bug and the more familiar conduit error 2 and 3 bugs. After all this the application struggles to recognise the SD card - "No SD card" error - and when it occasionally does it will not activate using the product code provided.
A couple of emails which to be fair are answered pretty swiftly by both TomTom and Globalpositioning.co.uk.

Quote:
Dear Mr Smith,

The add-on maps which you have purchased are meant to be sold to people who already own Navigator 5 software but only have their regional map. We advise you to return with this product to the shop and please ask for a full Navigator 5 software + maps of Western Europe package.

Your product will not work without the original Navigator 5 software included.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Sadly not much chance of that....

Quote:
Hello,

Our website clearly states that this item is an upgrade only.

"Please Note: This Map data is an upgrade for the TomTom GO
Classic/300/500 and TomTom Navigator 5 products to provide Western European
coverage."

Im afraid there is nothing i can do for you as we do not refund opened
software.

Kind Regards

Diane Williams

technical@globalpositioningsystems.co.uk
Product Support

OK I risk looking pretty stupid here and looking again at the globalpositioning site the information that there are two distinct versions is in there if you look closely. The problem was I looked closely at the TomTom site instead for what I thought were definitive details of their TomTom Navigator software. Their site has just one product called Software and European Maps. The only mention that the basic navigator 5 app is not included in some CD sets is buried deep in their support database.
I maybe in a small minority but I have read other posts on this forum of people searching their CDs for the TTN application. So I am not a minority of one. The solution I have read here before is to simply use the update 5.12 to install the app and this does work but TomTom does not then allow you to activate it.

I remember buying a TomTom Citymaps for a Handspring Visor which was a brilliant piece of software at the time. I am sure I would have been impressed with the updated version but would welcome any suggestions on alternatives.
I am cutting my losses with an ebay ad which will make clear that the actual navigator application IS NOT included.

Iain
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain... Crying or Very sad

When the application CD wasn't included in my box, I went and double checked what I ordered at TigerGPS, and verified that it was supposed to include the application itself as well (in contrast to your unintentional situation). In the box I had there was the card with the product code, or whatever they called it, so even with using the 5.12 upgrade file, I was able to use this code to successfully activate.

Did yours include the product code? If so maybe there is hope. The activation process itself can be a bit confusing, with various codes and numbers needing to be entered and obtained from TomTom's website. If it didn't have the card/code, then ebay may be your only option...

Don
DLC Photography
idsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the product code is unfortunately for the add-on pack alone. I now understand how you worked things out as it was your previous post that came to mind.
My grumble is really with the TomTom website for not stating clearly that there is more than one version of their European maps software set. Kelkoo then homed me into what I thought was just one product.
With all the TTN problems I have read about and been solving the last few days I really am interested if there is another Palm GPS system that seems more stable even if lacking the TTN bells and whistles. Suddenly customer support and good updates matter more to me now.

Iain
idsm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well £100 for Europe maps add-on and then another £100 for the application ! Double or quits.

Given all the glitches with my system I think I will quit.

I just do not think it is a finished product. From reading the posts on some set-ups things work well and on others there are endless headaches. I have a feeling I will end up in the latter category after coughing up £200.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for the T2 but on my T3 I had no problems whatsoever to install or run TTN. Quite contrary - the performance on the T3 is amazing compared to a Pocket PC wit the same processor. It's also been rock solid stable.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: