Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Traffic. Not worth the paper it's written on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Traffic. Not worth the paper it's written on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: TT Traffic. Not worth the paper it's written on? Reply with quote

Hi.

Might be an inflamatory subject, but has anyone actually been satisfied with TT Traffic ?

I'm still on the trial. And last weekend drove from Maidenhead to Edinburgh to watch the rugby. And of course used my TT500 for navigation with traffic to watch for hotspots.

Now my understanding of TT Traffic from their ads on the website and the icons available etc is that you;ll be notified of slow traffic, heavy traffic, stopped traffic, lanes closed, accidents, road-works (Which cause traffic) etc.

Setup the route. Heathrow to Edinburgh (Via maidenhead). The route chosen by the unit is up the M40, M6 etc. I don't like the M6, so think I'll take the M40, cut over to the M1 from Warwick & go that way.

OK. Leave heathrow at about 13:00 friday (25/11). Clear run to home, and it's telling me Handy Cross on the A404 is a bit dodgy (Slow traffic, probably because oof the road works). So I get home & pack the car. We leave around 13:50 & set off. The traffic has apparently disappeared from handy cross, so we go that way.

Bang. Stopped traffic on the A404 leading to Handy Cross. Curse silently because it's early. Don't lose my temper yet, it's only been 5 minutes...

Get through that. The M40 is fine. No problems. Go off at Warwick & take the A46. Again no problems, except a few wrong turns, which the TT gets me out of without too many problems.

Get to the M1. Stop for a minute to buy a coffee. Get on the m1. TT Traffic say it's all clear. 2 minutes later hit traffic. (@ Around 15:30) EVERYTHING is stopped. It takes 60 minutes to crawl to the next junction. Still no traffic.

Then we get traffic alerts... M1. No info says the traffic detail. Great. Go off at J23A. 60 mminutes later I finally make J23A & go onto a new dual carriage with no-one on it... Hmmm... Looks good till TT says rejoin the M1... OK. I'll bite. Rejoin... And stop. Again.

60 minutes later I'm finally past Nottingham. And away again. Except for lane closures at newcastle (No alerts), accidents at newcastle (No alerts), slow traffic caused by bad weather (Newcastle again, no alerts).

Has anyone EVER had a usable traffic alert out of TT Traffic? In the weeks I've been using it via the trial I have yet to see a useful alert from it. I define useful as being an alert that's correct AND doesn't re-route me via some other un-monitored road. Like most of the A4... The blurb claims

Most up to date information from best local sources

Huh? Up-to-date? Local sources? A dyslexic monkey could probably come up with better RANDOM data than I'm getting so far. This is just one example of a very frustrating service. The M4 through the Thames valley continually has alerts for jams that don't exist and no alert where traffic is stopped.
Also alerts that sit there for weeks at a time (e.g. The A4 at the intersection of Stanmoor Road when there's NO cars around) and no indication of lanes closures etc at road works (e.g. The M25 around heathrow, M4 J8/9 the list goes on).
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if tt traffic is usless them so copilot and and rds tmc for fitted systems like vdo as they all get there info from the same source ITIS and IT IS is only as god as the person uploading infirmation to there server

as a major traffic user tt traffic is ok and is usually good but the info does tail off late friday and at the weekend I've noticed it tts fault it a problem for it is to make sure the quality of there inoformation is consistent which doesn't seem to happena t the moment

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Mark_Darlington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I'm a new owner of a TTG700, and a new user to the forum.

I bought a TTG largely because it had traffic. On Sunday evening I spent 50 mins crawling 1.5 miles on the A34 with no hint of a delay via the traffic information service. However, the Vodaphone traffic service was also showing no delays.

As already stated, tomtom use the ITIS service, which sounds impressive when you visit their website http://www.itisholdings.com/itmc.asp

However, they make no claims about the accuracy of their data from what I can see. I was hoping to find something along the lines of they claim to identify 90% of all traffic incidents with a delay of more than 20 minutes, or something similar.

I have no idea how accurate their data is. The real question, I guess, is; do they?

Cheers,
Mark
rriggers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_Darlington wrote:

However, they make no claims about the accuracy of their data from what I can see. I was hoping to find something along the lines of they claim to identify 90% of all traffic incidents with a delay of more than 20 minutes, or something similar.

I have no idea how accurate their data is. The real question, I guess, is; do they?

My daily route takes in the M25 & M3. Since I bought my TomTom on Friday there has been no major incidents so I cant really comment on how useful it is....
But if you click the coverage map on the ITIS page they state:
"service covers 95% of the strategic road network."
Does anyone know how to work out what roads are in the strategic road network? would this be all M + A roads?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rriggers wrote:

Does anyone know how to work out what roads are in the strategic road network? would this be all M + A roads?

In England it would be all the roads owned by the Highways Agency, which is most motorways, exceptions include some urban motorways such as the A167(M) in Newcastle. And some primary A-roads, but by no means all primary A-roads, just ones which are important.

I'm not aware of any non-primary A-roads being HA controlled. A similar situation exists in Scotland but they are directly owned by the Scottish Executive.

You can get a (not very good) map of the English trunk road network at http://www.highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: