Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 5.21 slow start on hx4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 5.21 slow start on hx4700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpereira
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: tomtom 5.21 slow start on hx4700 Reply with quote

After the latest update (tomtom 5.21) the application startup takes about 18 seconds, very slow start.

I already tried all configurations possible; “other nmea gps”, “tomtom wireless gps”, “tomtom cable gps” and “other Bluetooth gps”, and all configurations take the same time 18, 19 seconds to startup.

With my reciver, BT-338 only 2 configurations are possible: “other nmea gps” and “other Bluetooth gps”. Currently I’m using “other nmea gps” with 38400 and Bluetooth serial port com 8.

I did another test; establish the connection to the gps before start tomtom … same time.
I have installed other navigation software, Destinator PN, and it takes 9 seconds to start, a big difference between Destinator and tomtom.

Something strange is happening, and I don’t know what.

Any suggestion to minimize that problem is welcome.
Thank you.

Configuration:
HP hx4700
ROM: 1.10.08
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition v4.21.1088

tomtom navigator 5.210 (5430)
GPS controller v1.20
iberia_plus-map v632

tomtom navigator installed on memory;
Map installed on a CF Lexar Pro 2GB WA 80x
GPS: Globalsat BT-338
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, I to find the 4700 slow to load up, although I have not used it for a while, 15 to 20 seconds is about normal from what I remember, all I used to do was fire it up as soon as I got in the car, then secure it, and finally once the belt was on and the engine started it was up and running - you might find a slightly faster response if you put the map onto the SD card rather than CF but I don't think you will get much quicker - Mike
rpereira
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mike,
First off all, thanks for the fast reply too my post.

Till now I’ve been using Destinator PN because the maps in my country were more detailed.
Now, with the latest maps update from TomTom with the version 632, the difference between Destinator and TomTom is irrelevant.

I prefer the interface of TomTom, so I intend to use it.
After the long startup, the application response is very quickly and I’ve no complain about anything else.

Do you know if TomTom version 5.0 or 5.1 is so slow too?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go anywhere near vs 5,0 as it will not work with your device (something to do with a memory leak and it locks the device up after 30 to 50 mins dependent on free memory), - I have not tried 5,2 on the 4700 but vs 5,1 works in the same way you describe, my other PDA units don't fire up too quickly either (5,1) XDAIIs = 15 sec, (5,2) XDA-Exec 14 sec - so not too different - can't try it on the Ipaq at the moment as no cards in it - Mike
rpereira
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, looks like I will follow your suggestion, and start TomTom as soon as possible to avoid the long, long time wait.
I already post a message on the TomTom website, till now no reply.
Look like I must wait and hope that TomTom solve this in next updates.

(Something that as nothing to do with my post.
When a do a search in the forum with the keywords: “tomtom 5.21” with the option “search for all terms”, my post doesn’t appear, and it should, do you know why that append?)
rpereira
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response from TomTom support:

Dear Mr Pereira,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In regards to your query, 18 seconds sounds like a long time. Depending on how much of your hard drive is in use can cause the programme to take a bit longer to startup. It is hard to tell exactly why from here but you can call us on 08451610044 between 9am and 8pm to talk to a technician.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: