Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot i3 using with selfcreated maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot i3 using with selfcreated maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meckart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Streetpilot i3 using with selfcreated maps Reply with quote

Hi british folks,

I wonder if there is anybody who has already an experience using the i3 (or other streetpilots as C3x0) with selfcreated maps. There is a new built of Mapwel (update 4) http://www.mapwel.biz/features.htm
which can be used with the i3 and other streetpilots.

Ok, I don't expect any routing, but the display of a moving map would be a nice thing. I intent to use the i3 in Iceland (vacation), and there is no detailed map even from mapsource available (I've found none).

To be honest, I can't test myself yet, the i3 is only ordered (hopefully it will be delivered next week), btw the price in germany is about 280EUR.

I find the i3 a nice PND, and due to the size it is good to take it with you when leaving the car before a thief will get any attraction to it.

CU,

Martin from Germany
meckart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm an owner of a streetpilot i3, realy nice device, tomorrow I'll test it on the road. But today I've tested uploading maps (or Garmin img) files on a fresh transflash card. But it failed, I think the i3 is looking for a unlocked map...maybe it will work on the original transflash card, but I don't want to risk my card...

Does anybody managed to upload free maps on a i3 or c3x0?
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read VIEW CONTENTS OF TRANSFLASH CARD.

Seems I3s only works with original Garmin provided SD Cards and will not read maps from any other card although they may read POIs
(There are some reported cases where an SD card from one Garmin I3 works in another and I think some where it is reported that even an original SD card from one I3 does not work in another I3, might be what batch they came in)

Also seems if you backup your Maps files to your PC you can restore them but only to the original Card. I haven't tried this mind!

Other I3 owners with the Garmin CD software from other compatible Garmin have changed thier maps. You should be able to load your custom maps but you must make sure you have a safe backup of the map files from the I3 first and that they can be restored.
meckart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I3 works with self created maps. I've tested with mapwel and with an uploaded img- map. You have only to bypass the "Please use the provided PC software...." screen by pressing the weelbutton for a second.

Only the maps I found were not routeable, but mapwel annouced for the a next version the support of routeable maps.

This is great for me since I look for a map of Iceland and there is one already created. BTW for my testing I used a fread 256MB transflash card, not the original one.
http://home.wtal.de/noegs/index.htm you can find some free maps.
meckart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded now a free iceland map (great) http://www.ourfootprints.de/gps/mapsource-island_e.html
I uploaded it by SendMap http://gps.chrisb.org/en/download.htm

It works great with the Streetpilot i3

Please use a extra transflash card and don't kill the original data on the card delivered with the garmin i3!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: