Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Due out in November - its official
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Due out in November - its official

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Due out in November - its official Reply with quote

I have just seen a new FAQ on ALK's website as below:

When will Traffic be available for Pocket PC 5 or SmartPhone 1 ?

Answer

We anticipate to launch CoPilot Traffic in November 2005. Currently it is still in testing. If you would like to be notified when this is released, please subscribe to this answer and you will be notified when we have further information
darrenw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been any updates on this recently?

By coincidence, I recently aquired a GPRS enabled phone, which makes the timing perfect from my perspective! Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Due out in November - its official Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
We anticipate to launch CoPilot Traffic in November 2005. Currently it is still in testing.

This has been "in testing" for years now and was promised at the launch of CoPilot 5 in July 2004.

I wouldn't hold my breath....
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Due out in November - its official Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
mark1968 wrote:
We anticipate to launch CoPilot Traffic in November 2005. Currently it is still in testing.

This has been "in testing" for years now and was promised at the launch of CoPilot 5 in July 2004.

I wouldn't hold my breath....

I picked up some (free) traffic news warnings using CP6 this morning in Cambridge
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its now December and suprise suprise still no traffic. Does any have any updates?
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
Its now December and suprise suprise still no traffic. Does any have any updates?

I've been getting free updates recently. You can see the traffic data that they used at www.getmethere.co.uk. It relies on tracking the position of AA vans, National Express coaches and Eddie Stobart lorries, as well as extra information from the DETR on roadworks. It means that they may not report a problem if one of the vehicles that reports data to them doesn't happen to be stuck in the same jam.

ALK now have instructions on their website with how to enter a license key for the traffic updates.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your traffic upgrade keys from?
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
Where did you get your traffic upgrade keys from?

I haven't got alicense key. It works for me out of the box (CoPilot 6 with an MDA Vario). I think it just means that they are getting ready to start charging.
apbooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what the warnings are like? as looking at the ALK support site it looks as though you have to tap the screen to get the details, it doesn't seem practical if your driving along.

Thanks
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apbooth wrote:
Can you tell me what the warnings are like? as looking at the ALK support site it looks as though you have to tap the screen to get the details, it doesn't seem practical if your driving along.

Thanks

You get a chime and then a button appears in the bottom right hand corner above the + - buttons. You click that and then get to a screen which lists all the traffic incidents. There is a brief description (eg "A14 Slow Traffic", or "M11 Hard Shoulder Closed") and the distance of the incident to where you are. If you click on an incident then you can choose to see it on a map, avoid it or ignore it.

The mapping isn't particularly good. It is shown as a purple border to the road, but its only shown on the lower 2-3 resolutions of the map. If you zoom out to a view where you can see ~ 15-20 miles then its not shown. Although the distance from the incident is given as a distance, its not clear whether this is to the centre of the affected area or the closest point.

It can be difficult to reroute sensibly around a delay. There may be times when you want to completely avoid a road that has the delay on it. Other times you may be fine using that road for half a mile before turning off for a detour, when the delay is another 5 miles further on. I certainly wouldn't blindly follow a detour without checking to see if it is sensible. Doing this whilst on the move is tricky, so stopping is a good idea.

This is some background information on the traffic data:

ITIS have fitted GPS boxes and transmitters to big fleet users (the AA, National Express, Eddie Stobart etc). When these get held up in traffic, then they report back to a central server. There is more about how they get this information here: http://www.itisholdings.com/pdf/estimotion.pdf

You can access this information for free from http://www.getmethere.co.uk/ or if you pay with a phone call to 118-627 (627 spells M-A-P on a keypad). Calls cost 50p per minute from BT landlines; calls from mobiles on some networks may be higher.

If you send an SMS Text message with "TRAFFIC" to 82085
they will send you a map, via WAP push, showing current traffic conditions in the area you are located for £1.

The ITIS data is broadcast with the signal for Classic FM. If you buy a "TMC" radio receiver, then you can access the data for free.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting timing.... the new v6 Laptop version just launched in the US a few days ago....

Terran

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: