Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - conversion to RJ-11?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

conversion to RJ-11?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: conversion to RJ-11? Reply with quote

I just bought the TomTom Car Kit and have just discovered that I really should have paid a bit more attention before doing so. Rolling Eyes

It says it is only compatible with TT's own GPS receivers. I am slightly sceptical about this but what is prohibiting me from even attempting a connection is my Haicom receivers mini-din connection - the TomTom Kit having a modem-like socket (is that RJ-11) socket. So, can that connection be converted somehow? If so, is a solution commercially available, if not, would it be a case of taking it somewhere so the existing connection could be removed and a new one fitted - am I over simplifying this perhaps? Even if a new connector could be fitted, how can you tell which wire goes wherem is there a standard way of connecting these?

Question Is my viewpoint over simplistic, is my explation over complicated, am I just clueless and talking nonsense?

Thumbs Up Answers to any or all of the above would be much appreciated
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory nothing is stopping you, apart from the wiring and whether the GPS requires more juice.

You would have to work out what each cable did both on the RJ11 plug and also on the Haicom for instance, then purchase an RJ11 plug and crimping tool from Maplins and do the job yourself.

I doubt it you'll find many companies doing the job for you, as they won't know which cable does what.
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some digging around on the Haicom and Leadtek sites and the Haicom HI-203E (which I have) 'primary power' is rated at +3.8V~8VDC, curent consumption 125mA@3.3V. I am pretty confused as to what that means. The Leadtek (which I think the cradle is designed for) is rated at 5V and power at 0.9W @ 5V, trickle power 165 mW. There is an wiring diagram on the Haicom site so you can you can work out what everything is on the way out of that unit but it would need to be mapped to that of the Leadtek. All of this is academic if the power atings are incompatible - which they appear to be to me. Would I be correct in that assumption?

I'm off to Ebay now to see if I can get hold of a Leadtek receiver - I think that might be the way I have to go.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Leadtek would be the best solution, I've never had to re-wire a receiver (and don't intend to!). Smile
compaq dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark what you want isn't impossible, just a bit tricky 'Confused' the pin outs for the GPS are quite readily available, however you also need the pin outs for the RJ11 phone connector on the tomtom car holder, maybe tomtom will tell you Laughing or you might be able to find out from the leadtec site? The voltage and power ratings you have given seem ok, in fact it would appear that your GPS uses less power than the leadtec one !

From your figures the Haicom can accept power from 3.8v to 8v (it must have a regulator), the leadtec sits at 5v

The Haicom uses 125mA at 3.3v this equals 0.413W or 413mW, the leadtec is rated a 0.9w

So it looks like it will work, you just need the pin outs for the Leadtec (the ones for the haicom ar in the manual)

Good luck

Dave
compaq dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps Looks like its an RJ45 Network connector not a phone one !
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bit the bullet and went for the Leadtek one.

(In my first bet in three years I made a small random bet on a 50-1 horse last week which romped home in 1st place so I had a bit of cash burning a proverbial hole)

thanks all

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: