Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update process for PocketGPSWorld POI's?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update process for PocketGPSWorld POI's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Update process for PocketGPSWorld POI's? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

As you can see I'm a relative newbie here however I'be been spending plenty of time battling the somewhat bewildering amount of potential sources for reliable POI databases. Having put POIEdit to some considerable use I'm trying to narrow down my POI sources to a manageble few and have currently settled on those from PocketGPSWorld (naturally!) due mainly to the excellence of the rest of the site, and those from POIHandler given the ease with which updates/modifications can be made to their databases (good and bad I suppose!).

My question relates to the POI databases your provide and how one goes about suggesting updates/alterations to the data within. I'm not talking about the Speed Camera POIs as I see they've got a well-establised and understood review/update process however I was wondering what the situation is with the others you provide!

To take some examples, the Sainsbury's POI database was missing a couple of entries in Macclesfield so I've e-mail the contributor with the details. Presumably he then sends you the updated database? Would it be a good idea for you to include the revision date on the downloads page? (I know POIEdit/POISync will spot it). However, the Tesco database had some incorrect data (likely due to a postcode conversion error) however whilst the contributor is listed there is no contact info! Who do I send this info to?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticising the excellent work that has gone in to the creation of these POI databases I'm just talking about the inevitable accuracy issues of the data over time which ought to be easily managed via distributed review... but the process to do this is unclear... to me at least! (I've trawled the site but not found much info but would be more than happy to be pointed in the right direction!).

Cheers,

Mat
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the duplicate post - I would delete one if I was allowed!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: