Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA - crossing state lines to get from A to B?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA - crossing state lines to get from A to B?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshik72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: USA - crossing state lines to get from A to B? Reply with quote

Hello all!

Forgive me - I'm new to all of this...

I have just (successfully!) installed TomTom Nav 5 onto my Palm Tungsten T3 via my Mac G5. So far, everything seems to work wonderfully.

Here's my question: I work in the Washington DC Metro Area (inside the 495 Beltway). I have installed the maps for Virginia, Maryland, and District of Columbia.

If my home address is in Virginia, how do I select a downtown Washington DC address as my destination? Or one in Maryland? It seems as though you can only choose from destination points on the map you are currently accessing.

This seems like a serious issue. Around here, people are constantly crossing from VA to MD to DC and back again. When I travel to my parents' house up in New Jersey, I pass through Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey.

I should be able to start in VA, and enter my NJ address as my final point. Nav 5 should be able to see where I am and bring up the appropriate map as needed (presuming I have installed it on my Palm).

Is there something I'm overlooking? Comments, suggestions anyone?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your departure and destination points are on the same map, you cannot route from one to the other without manually switching maps.
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Unless your departure and destination points are on the same map, you cannot route from one to the other without manually switching maps.

Could you clarify this further - is it possible to route from one map to another, even if it does require manually switching maps? If so, exactly how do you do this?

I had assumed that you could only create routes within any given map, but your response suggested the possibility of a work-around that involved manually switching maps. Or perhaps I'm reading more into it than is there Smile
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only workaround would be to install a larger map section that includes all the areas you want, on the TomTom Discs there is the option to install various combinations of states if the standard Lower East Section of the US does not cover everything you need,

Richard
Joshik72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - figured it out!

I originally installed the US maps in a piece-meal fashion, just selected the individual states I wanted.

But the first option listed is to install a large regional map. In my case, this would be the New England / Mid-Atlantic regional map. I deleted all the individual maps, and reinstalled this larger map. Now I can navigate from Virginia to downtown DC, and up to New Jersey.

TomTom should consider creating some additional maps that re-divide up the current map data. For instance, a "DC Metro Area" map would contain everything from DC out to the 495 Beltway that encircles it, as well as Arlington and Fairfax counties (Northern VA), and Southern Maryland (Takoma), Prince George's County, etc. All the places that someone from DC would go.

Or a "Tri-State Area" map for the New York City area that would contain Manhattan and the other NYC buroughs, Long Island, Northern New Jersey, the southern tip of New York State, and even a good chunk of Connecticut...
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big limitation here is that as far as I can see (and I'm hoping there is some work-around), there is no way to route between Regional maps. For example, if I wanted to create a route from my location in North Carolina, up to somewhere in New York, the origin and destination are in different regions, so it seems there's no way to do it.

I have also installed Major Roads and Cities of the USA, which does enable larger-distance routing, across what is covered separately in the regional maps, but the detail here is going to be less than what is contained in the regional maps, so may not be as useful.

So is there any work-around to gain the high detail available in the regional area mpas while still doing a route that crosses regions?

Thanks.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the Itinerary, you can plan a route across multiple maps. Just add all points you want from the region maps you travel in.
Also have the Major Roads or Major Roads&Cities map. When departing, have the detailed map loaded. Then switch to the MRoUSA map, and continue with the Itinerary. And when you are close to your destination, switch to the detailed destination map
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll play around with that and see how that would work out.

Don
DLC Photography
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLCPhoto wrote:

So is there any work-around to gain the high detail available in the regional area mpas while still doing a route that crosses regions?

Get a decently sized storage card (1 GB or more) and use the "USA_Complete" map that comes with the GO 300 or 700.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

Get a decently sized storage card (1 GB or more) and use the "USA_Complete" map that comes with the GO 300 or 700.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, Lutz. How would I go about getting this? Is this something that is available for TTN5 purchasers? Is it available for separate download or purchase?

Don
DLC Photography
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same Here Lutz

How can we get the Complete 700 Map?.

If you are suggesting we should pay for another complete Map at TomTom prices after alreay paying out for the TT5 US/Canada package I think you must be on commision from Tomtom Rolling Eyes

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
I think you must be on commision from Tomtom

Ah, that would be nice, wouldn't it? Alas, last time I looked my bank account was still empty (and I look often)

I can only tell you that it is technically possible. For the purchasing details (or the lack thereof) please contact TomTom.

You can also find someone else's GO 700, copy the map over, and then activate it with YOUR product code.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with TomTom's "Customer Service." I explained the litany of problems I've had (no responses to questions posted on their tech support site, incorrect information on their website concerning using the downloadable 5.12 upgrade file to do a fresh install, not physically including the Application CD in a factory-sealed package, no instructions whatsoever on how to install the map files directly to SD, etc.).

I then discussed with them the issue in this thread, concerning the lack of a completely integrated, detailed USA-wide map file, which makes cross-regional routing cumbersome at best. And I brought up the idea of them providing me with the "USA_Complete" Map to get around this limitation. She kept saying they were unable to do this. I tried, patiently, to explain to her that this is just not true - they provided me with 8 CD's worth of maps with TTN5, so there was no technical reason they couldn't put the 890mb or so (according to her) USA_Complete on a couple of CD's and send them the same way.

If they weren't willing to do this, that's one thing; but when she says that they might be willing, but are actually unable to do this, it's just a crock. I could accept the former, though I wouldn't like it, but I refuse to accept the latter. They said there was also no way they could sell the map separate from the Go units that it's used with. Another crock to me.

So there it is, for what it's worth. I still like the application itself, despite the regional issue discussed in this thread, but am completely fed up with the company itself. They seem just plain incompetent when it comes to providing customer service and technical support, and unfortunately their customers suffer. I told her, and the others I've spoken to there that they're just shooting themselves in the foot with their failure with their customers. They apologize, but nothing seems to change, and they weren't willing to do anything extra to at least try and keep this customer happy.

Doesn't bode well for TomTom's future, unless there are marked improvements here....

Don
DLC Photography
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding of TomTom's business model they do not distinguish between "unable" and "unwilling" - these terms have the same meaning to them. "unable" just sounds less rude.

It's the same problem with TomTom Mobile or the GO 500. It is beyond me why they do not offer that in North America, but I was told that those products are not in line with their business strategy.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the TomTom website
http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.php?ID=155&Product=73&Category=&Context=1&Language=1&Tab=2

A contiguous map of the USA is available to purchase on SD card purchase price EUR169.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: