Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman routing errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman routing errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GP_Racing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman routing errors Reply with quote

Have just purchased Navman 3450 and impressed with its performance except for some very strange routing.

M6 southbound takes you off on A5000 around Stoke and back onto M6 -- why??!!

M11 southbound onto M25, Navman indicates you must keep right - instead of keeping left.

I have also once been instructed to come off the A14 cross over the dual carriageway and go the wrong way along the other carriageway -- needless to say I didnt try this one!!

There seems to be an illogical aversion to using motorways as a quicker routing over A roads, even with avoiding urban areas turned on.

Confused but hopeful

tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman routing errors Reply with quote

Not sure how these compare to 3400 that I have, but I often am instructed to get off a Motorway at a junction and get back on again.

I occasionally use M11 onto M25 but I don't remember that one happening, will take note next time I do it.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

I get this a lot too. It seems to happen most when roads pass above or below the motorway you're travelling on.

Do other people find this ?

Try planning and examining the route given by the navman before setting off and you'll probably find that these detours aren't there but are introduced when you're actually travelling.

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I can honestly say that I've never had any such experience.

tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

What other way is there for a road to cross a motorway, its either got to be above or below!

However I have only ever seen it on motorways.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

Don't get your point tcs17_tim, obviously the roads crossing have to be above or below the road your travelling on. What i thought we were trying to establish is why the software routes you off at a junction only to re-route you back on to the motorway immediately at the same junction.

The only reason for mentioning the roads above & below was to find out when other people have experienced this and see if some sort of pattern emerged.

Maybe we could use this forum to identify junctions that this occurs on, then compile a list and send it to navman to see if they can figure out why.
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

Errr my point was that roads can do nothing else but go above or below a motorway, hence I didnt understand your point.

I like your idea of identifying junctions, I am not sure if its certain junctions or not. I will start taking note of the junction when it happens.

On my recent trip to North Wales it happened several times on the M6 and M40. Also it happened to me at two consecutive junctions. I think that was on the M40.

I have now completely lost faith in Smart St Pro and have started taking an atlas with me, not sure if the installation of the updates has made it worse or what. I was a fan and now get pretty frustrated with it. Thinking of changing to TomTom software, going to read the TomTom forum see how many issues like this that they have!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: