Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Arkon powered mount and RS232 GPS input?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Arkon powered mount and RS232 GPS input?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kawboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Arkon powered mount and RS232 GPS input? Reply with quote

Has anybody found an adapter that will allow a standard DB9 RS232 serial GPS receiver output to plug into the RJ11 port on an Arkon powered PPC mount? I haven't had much luck Googling the net and searching this site gives no hits either.

Apparently, according to an older msg from Pc-Mobile, there isn't a standard RJ11 GPS pinout (or wasn't at the time of their post, can't remember the date on it though), so it might have to be a special adapter just for the Arkon. Anybody have any ideas? I could probably make one myself, but in my experience storebought adapters with moulded strain relief (or an all-in-one solid unit) are a lot more reliable than homemade stuff.
Pete2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkon list a couple of cables on thier website for connecting a wired GPS receiver to the powered mounts (RJ12 to PS2 male/female). I'm after the one to connect to a male PS2 and their part no. is CA102. I've searched the resellers sites listed on the Arkon homepage and none of the UK ones list it (correct me if I'm wrong - PLEASE). I have also spoken to expansys ( a listed reseller) and was told no they don't stock it , can't offer an alternative and generally weren't alot of help.
I think I'll end up ordering one from the states - I'm a bit miffed thou that these are as rare as rocking horse droppings in the UK.
Will keep you informed
Sad
Kawboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the RJ11 to PS/2 connector adapters, but unfortunately that doesn't help me. Sad Oh well, I went ahead and ordered a mount anyway in the hopes that I can find some way to get it to work with my Extrex Legend (RS232 out).

I'm also interested in hooking up more accurate external GPS receivers to it. There are some pretty sweet sub-foot DGPS 5hz models with DB9 RS232 output available... :D

I'll second your observation of the unhelpfullness of the Arkon distributors. I've even emailed Arkon themselves with no response yet (it's only been a day or so though). The best response I got was from handheldcanada.com, but unfortunately it was just to tell me that they were no longer buying new Arkon parts and just selling out the remaining stock (I wanted an option they didn't have listed on their site). He did say that it wasn't because of a problem with the product, but of the cost of importing them for the volume that they sold- it just was't worth it for some reason.

Most of the Canadian sites listed as Arkon dealers on arkon.com no longer sell the product and, of the remaining, they have very little choice. I ended up ordering through a 'Merican dealer that had a reasonable shipping rate. expansys.ca charges $48!!! Cdn dollars for shipping to Canada!!! Holy crow! If Arkon.com can do it for $15US, and yourmobiledesk.com for $18US, why is there a .ca company based in the US charging over double the price for shipping from the same company (UPS)??? Shame on you expansys.ca!! They're worse than most US .coms when gouging Canadian customers on shipping.

Back to my pinout problem though, Arkon have yet to reply to my question about wiring. I'd love to be able to easily get what'll hopefully be a great mount working with industry-standard higher-end GPS receivers, starting with my Legend. If I can't, I guess I'll be stuck with my CF GPS (BC-307).
usur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Did you find a pinout for the RJ12 connector?
If you buy the PS2 adapter you get the pinouts of the PS2 connector from globalsat wich has one of the supported devices.
It wouldn't be hard to figure out how the RJ12 is wired if you had an adapter but then you'd had to buy one just to test.
I'm thinking about buying one if i can't find the pinout on the RJ12 somewhere else.

Best Regards
Fredrik

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: