Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Acer n35 or Navman 570 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer n35 or Navman 570 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HullJimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Acer n35 or Navman 570 ? Reply with quote

Hi,

Wondered if you could help make up my mind for me!

I've been researching PDA based solutions and got down to either of these two....

Anyone who knows more than me willing to help out with a pros & cons? Which is the better supported machine? I'd want the speed camera functionality....

HELP CLEAR A FUZZY MIND!
kissack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went for the Acer n35 (on price and pda grounds). Speed cameras downloaded and working. Destinator not quite as good as my dad's tom tom 300, but it does the job
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

i u se an acer n 35. it is cheap and also compact. u can just fold it and unplug and put it in ur pocket and off u go.

yes destinator is not always on the ball!! but it can get u where u r wanted.

it is handy and volume of the speaker is good. u donot have to get a powered mount.
try web based buy!
good luck
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Choices Reply with quote

For value for money, you'd have to pick the Acer !!!

In the pack you get everything you need all at once with no extra purchases needed. Eg. mains and car charger, pc sync cable windscreen mount etc.

Also the Acer is an all in one unit with the flexibility of also being a pocket pc so you can use it as a pc. or simply store contact details and use as a diary.

Included in the software is Windows mobile 2003 which includes pocket excell and word. Which I use to do my work expenses on a day to day basis on my way home thus saving me time at the end of each month.

My only adverse comment is the reliability/quality of these units. I've got a fully functioning fault free unit now but it took me two attempts whilst my mate who purchased one at the sametime is on his third. SO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPT.

To end on a positive note, I couldn't do without mine now, it was agony for the week it took to replace the faulty unit as I purchased it over the net, but I did save a few pennies so I can't complain.

Hope this helps

Mikey
HullJimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this on the high street for £250.

Is that a fair price? Anywhere on the net cheaper?
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Acer Reply with quote

Not a bad price to pay on the high street.

I purchased from ebuyer for £234 inc vat and they also have offers now to include an additional sd card

Check out their site www.ebuyer.com (make sure you choose the UK site)

Quick find code for the unit is 82044
& a 512sd card is an additional £16.31

Obviously you pay a few quid postage and may have the returns hastle via snail mail if anything goes (read earlier comments).

Basically you can save a few quid but have to put up with the hastle if anything goes wrong.
HullJimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikey!

Think I may as well pick this up in Comet/Argos then. It's only a tenners saving and I get to play immediately!

What's the need for another card?
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: memory card Reply with quote

The additional memory card is 'cos the software comes on a 128 card which doesn't leave a lot of space for other stuff.

I've switched to a 512 card and this is already half full, cos I store photos, music and when I went on hols I used the ppc as a video player.

Using a bit of software called Pocket DVD wizard you can 'back-up' your dvd's so you can watch them on the ppc.

So it depends what you plan on using your PPC for!!

Mikey
HullJimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've bought one but it appears to be borked.

No backlight Sad

MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Backlight probs Reply with quote

I might be teaching a granny to suck eggs so I apologise in advance if I am, but have you checked the backlight settings??

Goto
>start
>settings
>system
Click the backlight icon
goto Configure

This will show the settings for battery and mains power.

Mikey
gooner1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought the Acer N35. Wow. What a Gadget. I bought mine from Argos as there's no trouble replacing if there is a problem with it. I am amazed how easy it is to use I was expecting probs But no its all very straighforward out of the box.
I did'nt like the Destinator 3 that comes with the bundled pack so i whacked Tom Tom 5 on it and now its Perrrfect.. Wink I did'nt really want the PDA side of things but i must say i may well be using it for playing the odd song or 2 as the sound is great through some decent H/Phones. MP3/WMA Supported. I did'nt like the Sync cable. I tend to do everything through my Card reader. ie...POI's and adding songs etc. I cant fault this little Gem at all..I love it.. :D

P.S Does anyone know or point me in the right direction for some decent POI's sites as i have'nt found many yet...?

Mark... 8)
HullJimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikey but the screen was dead!

Got it replaced and been using around town....

What's the major differences between Destinator and TomTom then?
What else should I be getting for my new toy?!?
gooner1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HullJimi wrote:
Thanks Mikey but the screen was dead!

Got it replaced and been using around town....

What's the major differences between Destinator and TomTom then?
What else should I be getting for my new toy?!?

errrrr......Scunthorpe utd and...errrrr...Chelsea.... Laughing
HullJimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right....... Confused

What's the real differences?!?
GaryC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the n35 for a while now and had two problems with it, the first was gps only working when it wanted to and the other was/is the lead connection in the bottom of the unit. This allows the power to go off and on from the in-car charger and while powered off the PDA's screen will switch off to save battery power.
It has been back for repair and they replaced the main board making the gps reliable and also I notice it now receives a signal quicker and much stronger than before.
Sadly for some reason they did nothing about the connection and it's having to go back again so not happy about that. The cause of this problem as I see it is the length of the in-car charger connection putting a lot of force on the PDA's. Given that, it is important that the charger connection is free to hang without being pulled at by the lead, I find it's useful then to raise the PDA in it's cradle slightly to allow the two stops to trap the connection itself and hold it squarely in the PDA...at least in one direction anyway!
As for the software Destinator is I think better than TomTom 3 that I have to compare it with, only the speed cameras in TT3's POI's work better than Destinators in Favorites. Destinator's re-route will find a alternative rather than TT3 fighting to get you back on the original route even if it means going backward!.
Destinators map has street names on the map as well which is far better.
I wonder how much better TT5 is??
P.S. the n35 comes with a 256mb card not 128mb

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: