Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - voice does not work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

voice does not work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefrison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: voice does not work Reply with quote

Hi

I've just installed TTN2 on my XDA from O2. Everything works just fine - except that the thing does not talk to me. Something it should do from the start.

Any experience with this? Do I need to push some button or set some hidden parameter somewhere?

Thanks in advance!
genes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: voice does not work Reply with quote

Hi

You need to install a program called checkpoint that will identify and POI's (Points of Interest) like radar cameras etc. There are other similar programs but I find Checkpoint to work well and it is free!

Also maks sure the sound is switched on by tapping on the speaker at the top of the today screen.

Regards Terry

lefrison
Occasional Visitor

zanks for the quick reply. will scan the web for checkpoint. sounds interesting.

wrt my problem: the speaker is active, so that should not be the problem.

I've removed and reinstalled everything twice now, also taking care that the wav files are in the same dir as navigator, but it did not help.

Any other tips?

genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Checkpoint is on this site - Got to downloads area

Terry
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

It should talk OK without CheckPOInt - you only need that for audio alerts of POIs.

Do other programs play audio OK through your XDA's speaker? Is the volume turned up loud enough? On many systems, you need the volume in Navigator turned up to maximum (it has its own separate volume control in the Properties page).

I'm having my own speaker nightmare. I had an alarm I'd set incorrectly wake me at 0340 this morning (it should have gone off at 0740).

This morning, my iPAQ 3970's speaker won't work at all. There's still sound if I plug headphones in - so sound is still being generated.

Apparently the speaker has died with the iPAQ sat on my bedside table with a charger plugged in, otherwise idle and certainly untouched (I was asleep). Nothing had been plugged into the headphone socket for some time (of course, this problem can be caused if the changeover contact in the headphone socket breaks). I've tried wiggling a couple of headphone plugs in the socket - still dead. I did just get a peep out of it once when I shook the iPAQ, but nothing since.

I wonder if the extreme humidity of the current weather has caused condensation in the case. I took the system for a drive earlier in case it was a loose connection, and Jane was completely silent...

I've backed up and just now tried a hard reset. Even that doesn't bring the speaker back to life - it does look like hardware failure. It looks like I shall be phoning HP in the morning . Fortunately the iPAQ is still within warranty, but I'm so dependent on my Pocket PC and will be utterly lost without it.

David
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Lefrison,

TomTom only gives voice guidance when in Navigator mode. If you have it set to map or instruction mode you will not hear the voice. This can also be turned on and off in the TT2 software, either by using the menu system or pressing the action button.

You can also inadvertantly turn the volume all the way to zero by pressing the rocker button left.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

David,

Similar thing happened to me a few months ago with my 3870, working fine one day nothing the next, though the headphones were working OK. Mine had to go back to HP for a motherboard swapout. Fortunatly it was under warranty still.

MikeB
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Mike,

I'm very glad my 3970 is still in warranty if that's the case. Motherboard failure is not going to be a cheap repair if I had to pay - indeed, it might write the Pocket PC off.

It certainly doesn't look like it is going to come back to life - and it would have to happen in a week when I really need the Pocket PC <sigh>. I'm so dependent on it.

Can you remember how long it took HP to turn your iPAQ around?

David
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Well they actually screwed up with mine. First they told me it was under warranty (which it was) so I sent it off on a Friday. Expected to have it back about 4 working days later. Got an email from them on the following Tuesday, they provided a repair cost and were waiting for my confirmation of the repair quote, oh and if I turned it down the wanted about £60 for not doing anything.

I explained that I was told that it was under warranty which they agreed was the case and said they would get back to me. Took them a day to decide that it was a warranty repair, then it went into the queue to be repaired, took nearly 2 weeks.

However another time when It went back for a backlight repair it went off on Monday and was back by Thursday.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

lefrison, as Mike has said, you need to

a) make sure you're in Navigator mode

b) have a route planned from start to finish

c) be moving and it will then speak directions to you

If it doesn't, you may have fallen into the aged old trap. When you install TTN2, there's three programs you install.

a) the main program

b) gps driver

c) pocket speech

Now it's absolutely imperative that all three of these are installed to MAIN MEMORY. Do not try to install these to storage card, otherwise you will have problems. When you are prompted to install maps, you can install these to the storage card.

If you have installed TTN2 differently then above, uninstall and reinstall it (it won't cause any activation problems providing you're reinstalling it on the same Pocket PC).
timtim
Occasional Visitor

Dave

Do your above comments apply just to XDA's? I've installed all the software to a CF card in my iPaq and everything works fine.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

No, for all Pocket PC's. Sometimes you can be very lucky and get away with installing to storage card, but this can create hassles (unless TomTom have recently fixed this in TTN2 ?)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

Voice problems are relatively easy to fix.

Just go into the registry and make sure the entries there point to the right location - no matter if it is in main memory or on the storage card

Make sure you have all files copied over - TomTom checks each of them. If just one is missing you will see the "No voice files installed" message

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Lefrison,

Make sure that in "Settings" / "Sounds & Notifications", the Programs box is ticked.

Tom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: