Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Mobile on an ORANGE C550 - response from TT Support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Mobile on an ORANGE C550 - response from TT Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: TomTom Mobile on an ORANGE C550 - response from TT Support Reply with quote

I recently bought an Orange C550 as a replacement to an E200 which was running TomTom Mobile. The C550 has a higher resolution screen and TomTom will not run. I'm sure this must just be a config or screen size change? Contacted Tom Tom and the sequence of emails from them is shown below (you will need to read from the bottom up). TomTom are very non-committal about a solution. I may try and return the phone or will have to keep both phones til TomTom get round to resolving the problem, if they do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but we do not have that information.
The C550 has not yet been deemed compatible. We do not have information on the devices until they appear on the compatibility list.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 11/10/2005 01.35 PM

Hi. One last question (sorry!).

If Mobile 5 is released to work with the C550, will it make use of the better screen? Or will TomTom run in a smaller window in the centre of the screen which some apps do?

I may see if Orange have the earlier C500 still available....

Thanks

Bob

Response 11/10/2005 12.05 PM

Dear Mr hignett,

TomTom Mobile is now an obsolete product. We are not working on making Mobile compatible with more models as it has been updated to Mobile 5. We are looking at the compatibility of Mobile 5 with other devices but as to if or when certain models will be on the compatibility list we are not able to say.

With best regards,

Customer 11/10/2005 11.53 AM

Thanks for such a quick response.

I don't know whether to keep the phone or to try and return it now. Assuming you come up with a solution, when would it be available?

Oh and I guess I would have to spend extra money upgrading to Mobile 5 - or will the fix be available for Tom Tom Mobile as well?

I'm a musician in my spare time and rely on Tomtom to get me to gigs, a patch for this would be great and it appears that lots of other people on the internet seem to be complaining about the same thing.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Response 11/10/2005 11.04 AM
Dear Mr hignett,

The SPV C55O is not compatible with TomTom Mobile or Mobile 5. We are working on the issue to see if it wil be compatible with Mobile 5. If the phone is deemed compatible it will be announced on the webiste. Please keep an eye on the website over the coming months for further information.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibility.php?ID=69&Language=1

With best regards,

Customer 10/10/2005 05.42 PM

Hi. I bought Tom tom mobile for my ORANGE SPV E200 about 18 months ago. I've just upgraded my phone to an SPV C550 - apparently very similar to C500 and should run TomTom ok.
Copied Tomtom to a mini-sd card. Program starts up on my new phone C550 but screen then goes fuzzy and flickers. Any clues please?? Do I need the fix talked about for C500's? I believe the C550 has a higher res screen, so screen settings may need to change?? Thanks for you help.........Bob

Contact Information
bob@hignett23.fsnet.co.uk

Back to List of My Questions
bobhig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one last thing. It also appears that any solution will only be for TomTom Mobile 5, so any one running Mobile like me, will have to pay for an upgrade as well.............Is that reasonable?

Isn't this a bit like forcing someone to buy a new car because the old one needs tweaking?

On the other hand, I guess a software supplier can't ensure compatibility with every future device that might come out onto the market - so perhaps it is reasonable?

What does everyone else think?

Bob
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually more responsibility of the Microsoft that the old software run on the newer OS versions, that's mostly the reason why windows is so complex, cause it is backward compatible.

Usually an upgrade charge is taken for newer version, but if it needs to be just patched then it should be at no cost.

However i would think that tomtom will work on newer versions, but we never know unless we try.
pcb007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Tom Tom Mobile 5 to work quite sucessfully on the c550, with registry hack. The menus are smalle text but the maps actually run no probs on the phone. The havk is explained elsewhere on the site, but i have no idea if it works with tom tom 4. Only way to find out is to try
bobhig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PCB007. I can't find any details on a hack?

Although Lutz tells me a fix may be in progress for downloading on here....

Bob
pcb007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go. I copied & pasted from the article. Use a reg editor that works from the pc and the phone needs to be application unlocked. I used Smartione as my reg editor

first off you need to have mobile registry editor on the phone.
or a decent registry editor.

1. Open the reg editor and go to HKLM and select drivers
2. Then select display and open that
3.Your are then faced with GPE open that
4. Then select Values from the menu and open it
5.select Logical pixels X
6. Select Value data and alter it to 138 select done
7. Select Logical pixels Y and also alter value data to 138

select done and switch off the phone

Restart the phone

You should now see useable menus not to different from before but now in the interim Tom Tom should be very useable
bobhig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I'll give this a go when I'm off work at the weekend.

Apparently a patch will be available for download on here in the next month which will be great.

Cheers

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: