Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN2 Wrong Screen Orientation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN2 Wrong Screen Orientation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2 Wrong Screen Orientation Reply with quote

One thought is that your GPS hardware has stopped outputting the NMEA sentence that Navigator is using for direction (probably VTG).

What GPS are you using? If it's SiRF based (for example, the TomTom GPSes), you may be able to change the sentences output with WinFast Navigator and avoid this. If it's this kind of problem, though, it's odd that it's intermittent.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2 Wrong Screen Orientation Reply with quote

Alan, are you sure you're not in map mode ? I think it's probably a bug/glitch you've discovered. I haven't seen it myself, but I'd doubt that it was VTG, if it was then you'd get this continually even after cold starts. If you're using the standard drivers rather than NMEA or SiRF drivers (eg TomTom Navigator GPS) then this will hard set the GPS Receiver on connecting to the preferred settings, and to lose this part way through a journey, I'd be very surprised if that would happen.

If it happens again, see if it happens at a particular location, or if you've been in to any menu options throughout your journey, it might be an alternative route, or something similar is glitching and causing a problem here. It sounds as though it's probably a small bug as we haven't heard from anyone else about this issue.
Parky
Regular Visitor

Over the past couple of weeks, on two seperate occasions, I have set a route as normal, but when I start to drive the screen seems to be locked facing North. This means that when I travel either East or West the road traverses on the sreen instead of the screen following the road as normal. The big problem is when travelling south, TTN tries to recalculate every 30 seconds which is a real pain. I ended up this morning turning TTN off because of the hassle. I went through all my settings to see if there was anything obviously wrong, but I could'nt find anything. When I programmed another route back everything was OK.

One thing I did do on both occasions was recalculate using alternative routes, and avoid a certain road.

Sorry it's so long, but idea's welcome.

Alan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I wonder (jokingly) if this is the North Pole Special Edition. No matter which way you move, it decides you're headed to the Pole...

or is it

for that, I wonder.

My original suggestion about VTG was the only thought that came to mind at the time - though, as Dave says, it would be very unlikely to happen mid journey.

More seriously, if you can get into the GPS Status screen when the problem has occured, you can see whether there's still any bearing output - or whether it's just pointing to 0 degrees all the time. That might give some idea as to whether the problem is likely to be a GPS hardware / driver issue (bearing stuck at 0 degrees), or a bug in Navigator (bearing shown correctly in the GPS driver). It'd also be interesting to see what the compass was showing in the Navigator screen when the problem happens.

Having found a problem, it would be a good idea to check you're running the latest versions of Navigator 2 (2.24) and the GPS driver (2.06) as well. If you are not already running these versions, you can download the upgrades here.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Laughing Out Loud, now is that the North Pole, or Magnetic Pole ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Should be the True North Pole, as it's true bearings that GPS hardware outputs (some outputs magnetic bearings as well, but that is not a common feature).

Either way it's cold! There's no blue smileys other than the Thumbs Up one, nor are there any penguins (not that penguins are actually at the Pole) - but you get the idea...

David

(who wonders if any use would be found for a Tux smiley if we had one - for those that don't know, Tux is the Linux penguin logo)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Yep, I'm a Tux fan! RedHat, and Trinux are my daily used OS's.
Parky
Regular Visitor

Thanks guy's for the input. All this, VGT, NMEA or SiRF is going straight over my head unfortuneatly. I will however let you know if this does occur again, and exactly what I was doing at the time (censorship permitting). I am running the latest (2.24 and 2.06) from TTN.

Regards

Alan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

You could try my idea about bringing up the GPS Status screen - that seems worthwhile.

VTG is the NMEA 'sentence' that gives direction and speed of travel. In NMEA mode, a GPS outputs lines that begin with things like

$GPVTG

and it's lines like that that contain direction and speed of travel.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: