Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PLEASE HELP!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PLEASE HELP!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: PLEASE HELP!!! Reply with quote

please be gentle with me as this is my 1st post and i've dropped a right clanger....i purchased a legitimate copy of tomtom navigator 5 for my xda2s, i also purchased a 1gb sd card so that i could transfer the tomtom software to the bigger card, thus giving me more storage capacity, now, the crux of my question is this, whilst trying to copy the data over, i've managed to wipe the card clean, dont ask me how, but it's happened, where would i stand in getting a backup copy from, and as i have the codes, i would be able to re-install it then, and away i go. i know i'm a plank, but could really do with some advice/help please, many thanks in anticipation Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welecome, I assume the card you have erased was the original TT supplied SD card, if you have no CD disks or back-up of the card on the PC - about all I can sugest is either a phone call to TT support (or where you bought the TT from in the first place) and see if they will replace the empty card (No point until Monday 09:00 as they are closed till then). If they do replace the card, when you get the new one back it up onto the PC and then onto a CD the SD card can be easily wiped (as you have unfortunatly found out), but they can also become scrambled when in use - I always insist on CD copies for software as these are far more durable - but this means purchasing all of Western Europe - Mike
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike, many thanks for the reply, i have tried to copy the files across to my computer via the sync cradle that came with my phone, but it kept coming up with errors, saying that it couldn't copy a particular piece of info over. i even went out and bought a memory card reader yesterday too, but again the same error messages. being a tad naive with all this, i didnt realise that the tomtom package i had purchased, didnt come with a backup cd, seems a bit strange to be honest, but hey ho!!! i will take on your advice, and try to make backups of any new software i get, whether it will work will be a different matter, best regards
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you set folder options/view to "show hidden files and folders" so that all files are copied over??
Dave
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Dave, to be honest with you.....no.....i didnt, but cos i'm a plank, i've learnt the hard way, i'm hoping i can get another copy of the software from where i bought it, if not, looks like i'm gonna have to shell out for a set of european maps, at least then i'll have the backups. i cant believe that tomtom dont supply a back up cd in the bundle that i bought, just for such stupid people as myself, and of course it's only pennies for a cd too
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, an update for you, i now have the software downloaded from a link given to me by the vendor of my bundle, all fine and dandy till i try to use it, it wont let me set my home address to where i am in Plymouth, i cant navigate to anywhere bar around Aberdeen/Inverness, i have no keyboard at the bottom of the screen to allow input, any ideas would be really appreciated, i must add the guy who is helping me from the company's support site has been tremendously helpful, especially as he's answering my email questions on a Sunday!! i'm waiting on a reply from him too, maybe i'll have a full working version again by the end of the evening!!! thanks in advance
Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, What is the size of the map you got )it will be in the Great_Britain_Map folder, the on screen keyboard is a known issue with TT vs5,0 on the XDAIIs, to overcome this you need to download and install the vs5,1 update - Mike
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you are right, i have just downloaded version 5.000 (4890), so my next question would be should i be able to download the update from tomtom.com??? and i'm not sure exactly what the file name is you are wanting from me but here is what is showing on my xda2s screen
CLINE 53.2M
CNAME 13.8M
CNODE 22.3M
FACES 8.O3M
Great_Britain 33B
Great_Britain 39B
Great_Britain... 15B
Great_britain... 1.43K
MAPINFO 1.98M
POI 1.64M
TMCCODES 177K
TRAFFIC 23B
traffic 77B

hope this helps you. as i dont have a clue to be honest, regards Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the download from this link http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=3361&Language=1
The file size looks about right for a full UK map - not PLUS as that would be 200MB +

(this will sort the keyboard issue but not the map coverage which I find very confusing)
Mike
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark if you dont mind me asking where did you get the version from and where did you download the map form just curious as i didnt think you could download maps from tomtom

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix, i was sent a link by a chap at pdamods.com, that is where i bought my bundle from, the link is for version 5.000 tho, and i had 5.1 b4 i was such a plank and wiped the memory card, i've since downloaded the update from tomtom, and it's all back to normal, altho i'm still not happy, and maybe one of you more experienced guys will be able to help, i want to back up tomtom onto cd, that in itself doesnt present me with a problem, but since i updated from 5.0 to 5.1, it's obviously updated some files on my xda2s, and not the memory card, so the main bit of this, is this; how do i backup tomtom, so that i can have 5.1 on a cd, and not 5.0 as i have, so if i have to do a hard reset, i dont have to go thro the hassle of running the update software again.

I MUST APOLOGISE FOR BEING SO THICK, BUT I AM LEARNING SLOWLY BUT SURELY WITH ALL YOUR HELP, MANY THANKS AND BEST REGARDS
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basicly just pop the card in a card reader create a folder on the pc in my documents called copy of tt5 backup or somting along thought lines and then copy and paste it that easy

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried that alix, but rather than saving the now updated 5.1 version, all i'm left with is the 5.0, this is where my prob lies, as i'm new to gps, and pda's, i have now idea how to save all the updated software properly, cheers for your patience with me!! Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky, first of all please check in TT, Preferences, vesion exactly which version you have got loaded - if it says v5,1 (5160) then it has updated, if not then the update has not worked - another easy check on the IIs is the nav to postcode, do you get the on screen keyboard? - if so then its running 5,1 - On the XDAIIs you have a utility called xBackup in the programs section, use this to perform a full back up to the SD card then if it all goes belly up in future you can re-install from that (note this will not back-up the maps so follow Alex's advice and put that lot onto the PC)

Mike
marky_v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okies, i'm defo running v5.1 now, i have the keyboard back, the maps are fine etc etc, just like before, i have done a full back up via activesync, so hopefully i have all data including maps etc saved to my pc, i'm also as we type, using xbackup, and backing it all up to my sd card too, so hopefully i have all bases covered now, i really have appreciated all your help today, thank goodness for expertise!!! 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: