Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What sat nav to go for? Navman TomTom Sony or other?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What sat nav to go for? Navman TomTom Sony or other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobHyland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: What sat nav to go for? Navman TomTom Sony or other? Reply with quote

Hi
I'm looking for a Sat Nav, 40th Birthday looming, decided rather than a new shirt I fancied a Big Boy Toy!

I trialed one unit that had postcode search, but that only accepted about 5 digits, then had to enter street & house number.
Fine if only 1 street by that name in the town & all adresses are numbered, but if a long road/houses named/buisnesses or farms then it struggled.

I've been reading the forums and seen TomTomOne has 7 digit postcodes, I assume this will take me to within a few hundred yards of the required address if its a long road?

I had fanced a handheld PC as they seem to be similar price & do more (Boy toy again)

Can anyone recommend a sub £300 unit with following requirements:
7 digit postcodes
SiRFstarIII (I believe these are better?)
The ability to if held up in traffic, easily select to navigate around blockage
Compatable with the pocketgpsworld speed (opps safty) camera database

I like the sound of the new Sony NVU50T as I believe traffic info is FREE via RDS radio (Has to be paid for internet on TomTom)
I like the look of the Navman PIN570 (could keep all my address book data with me etc etc in that)
But both only work with 5 digit postcodes
TomTom 1 looks a bit naff compaired to both the above - but seems to offer what I want so will proberbly be the winner
But thought its worth asking the experts in case there is something even better I should consider?

I know - I want it all with bells on, but it is my mid life crisis
Regards
Rob
:-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't quite meet your sub £300 price tag but its a decent price for a package that will meet most of what you need the Mitac MIO A201 + TomTom Navigator on SD card, car holder cables etc, and its got a built in SiRF III GPS unit, it will do full postcode etc. and traffic but this is dependent upon a GPRS connection via Bluetooth from your mobile phone, which will attract extra cost via your mobile service provider, at less than 10% over budget I think its worth consideration, take a look at the adverts on the right hand side of this page for the unit in a package, a few of the suppliers are offering this - Mike
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

you could also consider a phone type pda such as the O2 xda mini which can be had from them at £50 and then buy tt navigator from tomtom which is around £205 for the complete package

this would be cheaper than your original price but of course you will have to pay line rental from O2

it will however give you another big boys toy to play with when not driving Laughing Laughing Laughing

erniew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniew wrote:
you could also consider a phone type pda such as the O2 xda mini which can be had from them at £50 and then buy tt navigator from tomtom which is around £205 for the complete package
With this option don't forget to add the GPS unit (you said SiRF III) so add at least £75 for this, £40 for a car mount, the cheap ones fall off and can damage your unit then a power/ charger lead for use in the car £10, I use the XDA units as you can see from my signature, not to everyones taste the real plus point is the Traffic connection, there is no messing with connection to a phone via Bluetooth - its there already - Mike
RobHyland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: What to buy Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys
I like the look of the A201 (I should have found it myself really, but I'd been reading and looking at Sat Nav for so long I'd got tunnel vision in my requirements & price bracket, but for another £30 looks just what I want)

I had considered a mobile, but don't use my current mobile enough to warrant a contract, just PAYG, plus screens seem smaller.

Not sure what the forums say about the A201 (I'll have a look after I've typed this) but if anyone has any experiance of it, please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks again
Regards
Rob
:-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: