Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My TomTom5 stops talking to me
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My TomTom5 stops talking to me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: My TomTom5 stops talking to me Reply with quote

This morning I set off on a planned journey. I got fed up with waiting for a sat lock so started driving before that was achieved. Although Jane eventually caught up and gave me my first direction she then insisted on not speaking again. A hard reset made no difference and I had to complete the journey by keeping an eye on the screen only. This has happened before and the only way to get her to speak is to reinstall the voice files. TT5 then says they are already installed and asks if I wanted to over-write them. Saying yes had it up and running again. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is it a problem with the SD card or a corrupted TT5 installation?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time don't leave jane behind ,then maybe she will tal kto you :D
sorry couldn't resist Smile Smile
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking 'lucky sod' Joker I have the wife to put up with as well, she thinks it's funny to repeat what Jane says but there's an answer to that Gun Shoot Out .

DID you REALLY do a HARD RESET then continue using Tomtom, though it wiped everything (soft reset is just a reboot & doesn't loose programs).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tad cruel way to handle a newcomer to the site chaps - a welcome wouldn't have gone a miss -

try a full re-install as something must be amiss with the set-up, it certainly should not be doing what you are describing - Mike
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you right mike i am sorry qkjb ,i didn't look at his number of posts
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Nice to have someone talk to me. Actually Jane only speaks when she needs to normally, whereas--------but this is dangerous ground.
The reset I did was a reset with the stylus in the back of the PPC. From what you say, that's a soft not hard reset so sorry for the mis info. This problem only seems to happen if I start a pre programmed journey without waiting for a sat lock. Dear old TT3 never did this.
I'll do a reinstall and see if that cures it. Thanks for welcome and the suggestion. :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that a hard reset puts the unit back to the factory set-up so you will loose everything stored on the PDA, so its a drastic course of action. If it has only done this once I would wait and see what prevails before going through the hastle of a full re-load - Mike
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Yesterdays problem is the second time it has happened, but only the second so I'll reinstall TT5 or at least, try a repair. It does seem to be linked to starting out on a pre planned journey before it finds a sat lock. As I recall, it fell over the first time by losing the voice when I did just that. Very odd though that the voices disappear but also yesterday, so did some of the roads on the map until I did the soft reset. A bit like dropping back to M R of E. Probably that though was as a result of fiddling with the card. I had installed another voice as well as Jane, just to cover this happening again. It couldn't find that either. As I said earlier, never happened with TT3 but this isn't TT3 is it.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a hard reset and just re-install tomtom completely with out any other programs loaded and see how that goes ,it could be a program that has been installed causeing problems
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,
I will try both yours and Mike's suggestions in the order of simplest first.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost the voices 4 times now.

On each occasion I was greeted with the initial disclaimer screen. The menus did not allow you to choose a voice as it appeared as though none were installed. A soft reset fixed it on the first 3 occasions, but I had to soft reset twice the last time it happened.
fryups
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds rather like (but maybe not exactly the same) as the problem I have been having with TT5 sound. See the link below for info:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27639&highlight=

I have not made any more progress than previously - I have to do plenty of soft resets to make it work! I had thought the problem was with the old Dell Axim X5 and not TT5 but perhaps it is both?

Still looking for advice !!

fryups
graham385
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had the same issue with TT5 losing the data04 and data05.chk files. The .vif files remain.

I think that it might be my PC running a file clean up utility which deletes *.chk files as checkdisk log files. This then deletes the *.chk files on synching the ipaq with the PC.

Does this sound like what could be happening?
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following earlier suggestions I reinstalled TT5 over the existing programme. Then I downloaded TT5.1 because I noticed it was supposed to have better support for non tomtom GPS devices, which mine is. The acquistion of Sats now seems to be much faster, previously it was irritatingly slow. So far so good with running it as well. Twice now I have done a "navigate to" without it falling over or losing the voice. In fact it is now quite difficult to programme a "navigate to" before it finds the sats. It was driving off before it found where it was that seemed to give it a problem. Time will tell. Thanks to the guys who made the helpful suggestions. There is always the hard reset and a reinstallation left to try if this hasn't cured it. A soft reset didn't bring the voice back to life on my PPC, by the way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: