Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS12XL connection?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS12XL connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS12XL connection? Reply with quote

Tomtom tell me I can connect my Garmin GPS12xl to the software but I cant find a cable for connecting the gps to the tomtom connector?? Any idea's

Tried Garmin they dont do one?

Paul

t: @montymotorhome
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS12XL connection? Reply with quote

Try PC-Mobile. If the 12XL has the round Garmin plug, then all you need to do is match the GRDC cable with the one for your Pocket PC and buy them as a pair and you're sorted. All you then need to do is set the Garmin up to export NMEA 4800 and select this in TomTom Navigator and you'll be up and running.
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

Thanks Dave - one further question if I may?

Would the garmin give better accuracy than the tomtom gps? I find the tt gps loses signal in built up areas/or in roads with trees along!! Yet the gps12xl seems to keep the signal no problem when I used to use it on my old laptop.

Thanks again,

Paul

Dave
Frequent Visitor

You'll be looking at roughly the same accuracy. It does depend more on the antenna, Garmin's are usually better although I have never tested the GPS12XL though. The newer Leadtek's that TomTom supply should have SiRF IIe support which gives added support for canyoning.
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

I agree with Dave, the SiRF IIe GPS receiver will give superior signal locking in difficult conditions than the Garmin.

By the way, the Garmin unit I have (GPS72) will only announce it has lost lock, up to 30 seconds after it really has, the display doesn't update during this time.

This may answer why the Garmin seems to hold satellite lock better than the TT (which must be very quick to indicate not enough signal).

DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

Thanks.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: