Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Acer n35 or Navman pin570
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer n35 or Navman pin570

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert99d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Acer n35 or Navman pin570 Reply with quote

Hi all
I use a palm tungsten t for work and want to get gps

so I have decided to get a new ppc pda with gps and my question is which pda/gps would you all buy between the acer n35 for £250 and the navman pin570 for £280?

Or can anyone recommend a unit for under £300 that is better?

Also does anybody know if this wireless card will work with both units?
robert99d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok think I’m going to buy one tomorrow so any advice would help

If you don’t know anything about the pda’s what about the gps software which is better?
The acer comes with destinator 3 and the navman with smartST 2005

Is the smartST worth the extra £30 as the pda’s seen the same spec
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a theory that the hardware is actually the same, with both units using the Samsung processor, having the same RAM, similar dimensions, etc., but of the two only the Acer specifically lists SDIO Now! as a feature (and this feature is required by the SDIO WLAN card you listed).

As you can see by my kit, I'm a Navman fan. I've never tried D3 but if I were coming into the market now then I think I'd demo as many products as I could before buying.
GaryC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a bit late but I have been plodding alone with the Acer n35 for a few weeks now and feeling my way into this game.
I have had a problem from the off with the Acer's GPS which having spoken to their friendly help line seems to be a known problem but without as yet a total solution other than "send it back and we will test it". Well mines about to go back for test as I don't think when you lift the arial it always switches on, hence you don't get a signal even though the blue light is flashing. Shutting and re-opening once or twice seems to cure it..until the next time!
When the GPS does fire up it works well and collects as many as 9 Sat's though a heated front screen, having said that, one strange glitch was when it took me through the middle of Conningsby RAF base for some reason??.
I am playing with both the supplied D3 software and also TT3 trying to see which one is best and it's not easy both having good and not so good points. Destinator has much better maps with road names displayed, it also has industrial estates marked out both of which TT3 does not. D3's woman has a speech impediment while TT3 is very clear and uses the word 'bear' rather than 'turn' which is more to my liking.
Bad point on TT3 is how to cancel a route before you arrive? while on D3 it's simple.
Big plus for TT3 though is Camera POI's being down-loadable into POI's rather than favourites in D3 where you cannot set up the sound alerts...least ways I can't.
Anyway I am brand new to SatNav and PDA's so just offer this as an opinion.
frootloop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: lifting GPS antenna Reply with quote

Gary, I found on my Acer (since returned to comet) that the GPS antenna (like all GPS systems) needs time to warm up and acquire satelites..... try lifting the antenna and leaving it for about 1 minute before you start destinator..... you should then find that all works fine

No more getting lost
GaryC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand what you are saying Footloop, if the GPS don't want to work you could wait till hell froze and it would still not find a satellite. With the supplied Destinator you don't know but with TT GPS the link is shown working...or not!
I was reading your thread on the problems you had which mirror mine with the hardware, plus the fact in my case XMA in Nottingham don't do repairs on Acer PDA's even though Acer said they did and by coincidence are five minutes away and you could chuck a stone from XMA at the place I bought it from!!.
For the moment though I'm sticking with it and as I said mines going back for repair including the USB connection..basically I think it's good kit
frootloop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryC wrote:
For the moment though I'm sticking with it and as I said mines going back for repair including the USB connection..basically I think it's good kit

Well, good luck with sorting it out :D ..... as i said in another thread, its good value for money but for using it every day, it didnt work out for me.

No more getting lost

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: