Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT-338 Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT-338 Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: BT-338 Problem Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

New to this so ALL help is greatly appreciated!

I have just bought a BT-338 receiver and have managed to connect it to my ipaq and to TT5 navigator using the other cabled option and port 6.

Just wanted to ask something, I understand that this receiver is a Sirf receiver and this is a large part of why I bought it. However, when I use Winfast CE, if I choose Sirf I cannot get a connection but when I choose NMEA I get a connection on COM port 6.

Does this mean my GPS receiver is borken or that it is not truly a Sirf receiver?

Also, it takes 5 mins plus to get a signal when I first start the thing! Is this normal??????

Many thanks for advice in advance!!!

Niko
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BT-338 Problem Reply with quote

niko1980 wrote:
Just wanted to ask something, I understand that this receiver is a Sirf receiver and this is a large part of why I bought it. However, when I use Winfast CE, if I choose Sirf I cannot get a connection but when I choose NMEA I get a connection on COM port 6.

Does this mean my GPS receiver is borken or that it is not truly a Sirf receiver?

No, its uses a SiRF Chipset but communicates with the connected device using the NMEA Protocol. Some receivers use the SiRF protocol to communicate but the vast majority use NMEA.
Quote:
Also, it takes 5 mins plus to get a signal when I first start the thing! Is this normal?

This is not normal, my BT338 gets a fix typically in under 10 secs. Does this occur regardless of where it is located? i.e. Clear Sky view outside, in a car, indoors etc?
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also takes a few minutes from cold start up though I was moving in the car. I wonder there's something wrong with mine too.
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the advice! Regarding the 5 mins start up, it seems to happen irrespective. However, to make sure, is there some way of testing this? It happens on cold starts once that is done it gets a fix pretty quick. I read in the forum maybe winfast ce can help but am scared i might mess up the thing using the software so have not tried anything yet.

I have had the receiver for less than a week and really want to figure out if it is faulty so I can do something about it. If it helps I bought the receiver through expansys and the s/n is 024436 (maybe part of faulty batch?).

Also my set up is an ipaq 4150 and I connect using COM port 6 and a baud rate of 38400.

Many thanks again for your help.

Niko
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd steer clear of Winfast as you risk causing more problems if you screw it up.

A cold start should take no more than 20 - 30 secs. A warm start with a good sky view less than 10.
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks again. Are those times calculated until I get a fix? (i.e. a gps position in 3d). Or is that how long it takes for the code to start streaming on the gps info program?

Thanks,

Niko
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timings are always based on aquiring a 3D fix Smile
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I have done as you suggested and went to the roof of my building 6th floor and did a TTF test using the globalsat provided software GPSInfo.

When I pressed cold start it took 1 - 1.5 minutes to acquire a fix. This was having VTG and WAAS (no idea what these are!) swicthed off (i.e. their box not checked).

I did this 10 times and ten times the fix time was between 1 minute to 1 and a half minutes. Granted this is much better than the 5 mins before but still nothing like your stated 20 - 30. The 20 - 30 sec time you state, is that with a completely clear sky? Or conditions like today sunny with patchy cloud?

Taking into consideration I was very high up with no overhead obstructions and today's weather, is my unit faulty do you think? Or am I doing something wrong? Is WAAS and VTG whatever those are meant to be switched on or off?

Sorry to be a pain! Embarassed

Thanks for all the help AGAIN!!

Niko

Is my unit faulty do you think?
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO.....

Could it be that the GPSInfo s/w is just slow? What software do you use when doing your time to fix tests?

Thanks in advance.

Niko
cootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a clear view, my bt338 takes about 50s to lock.
Inside the reception varies dramatically, with some areas taking quite a few minutes from cold start - all depends how many satellites it can lock on to that it can see.

The gps uses nmea to communicate, though you can change it with software to Sirf mode, and some programs use that mode to interface with it.
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cootuk,

Just tried my GPS
niko1980
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cootuk,

Just tried my GPS inside and it did not lock even after 30 mins! Does this ever happen to you? Maybe Darren can shed some more light on this?

Thanks,

Niko
cootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some windows software that monitors what satellites the gps can see and which it has locked on to.
By my window it locks on about six.
As i move it more inside it loses lock on more satellites, and covering it with a hand makes it lose all locks.

Just turned it on after 3 days no use by window, lock within 50s.

If you can get some software to run on your device that shows the satellites and lock, then this will help you work out what it is doing.
ginosergio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niko, I think you are Italian like me... if I'm right you can PM me in italian.

Some answers for you:

- cold start inside a building take a variable amount of time, from 1 minute to eternity. It depends from the building, the floor, your position, surrounding buildings, etc.etc. You can't do a timing test inside a building, it's useless, IMHO.

- cold start with open sky all around you is the best test. You should consider TTF time until red led gets blinking. Your software can take some more time to see the fix. (PS: I don't think clouds make a sensible difference). In this situation one minute is normal. It can change (more or less) depending how long the receiver was off, and so, how much satellites have moved from last known positions.

- sometimes you can wait 5 minutes to get a fix, even if you are outside; this is a bug of 3.0.2 firmware: it can occur when on cold start all visible satellites signals are below 32db.

You can update your BT-338 to 3.1.1 firmware (I did it) and it will works much better.

Regards
ginosergio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehmm... green led, not red...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: