Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Limited Speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Limited Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Limited Speed Reply with quote

On the HGV forum a discussion has taken place regarding the option in Planning Preferences to 'use limited speed'.

The logic of that option to me is that TT assumes that your vehicle is incapable of exceeding a specified speed. This suggests to me that if one set the Limited speed at the figure quoted in the Help Tour ( 65K/h) then the routing would avoid Motorways on the basis that there would be little to be gained by going out of the way to use such a road , preferring A roads instead. The consequence would be that large vehicles should NOT use this option as they would prefer to use larger roads.

However, someone with some experience of using this option in a Truck suggests that the facts are exactly the opposite - ie it gives a preference to Motorways.

This is interesting and I would like to hear from someone who really knows exactly what is going on here.

Roy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it and it appears to partially cap the fastest roads, Motorways, dual carriageways, to the set speed. If the capped speed is set to say 30mph, this gives the effect of giving every road a similar rating, and will route in almost a straight line. It knocked a 107 mile journey down to 102. It still used Motorways, etc., faster because of no junctions, but instead of looping round a fast dual carriageway, went across country.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. That doesn't sound to me that it is the ideal solution for a large vehicle - in my case a RV, because it would tend to cut across a direct route which would possibly not be truly negotiable ina large vehicle.

Thanks for the explanation anyway.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what type of road it tt used to cut arcrross country as ive said so would follow it some would look at the route and might not fancy it so they put a via in before leaving for the destination.

As has been said by tomtom navigator 5 is designed to be used in a car and not a larger vehicle the fact that you decide to use tt5 in a motorhome or truck, car and caravan etc is you desition and have no come back on tt if if route you down a road which is unsuitable

I have over seven years exerience as a long distance hgv driver I know where most main road low bridges are in london there large roads i wont use because the trailer i have is to high ie the south circular a205 has around catford has a 14foot 6 bridge on it and a 14 foot somwhere on it too the diversion is down a residential road and not really suitable as there are cars parked either side

the above is knowledge built up with time and exdperience some of the places im asked togo you wouldnt take a car let alone a 44tonne 55 fott long truck

haveing said all that it will be interesting to see what the hgv mapping from teleatlas is like hint hint team Laughing Laughing Wink
and also who will take it up the use of it i hope tomtom do take up the mapping but the cost of the map data i assume would be more so you new map next year would be more expensive if they offered either the standard map or the new hgv map as an option
Obviosly ive no knowledge of tomtoms plan and the above pure speculation and tomtom is used as an examle only.

sorry aboput the spelling but ive had a lie in and havent had coffee yet right off for caffine

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix

I agree that one should always treat TT routes as a guide only but it often isn't easy to do that when it tells you to turn into a road which looks fine but later down that road it turns out to be too narrow or whatever. You have to be conerned not only for your own safety but also for other vehicles.

I would guess that with you experience of driving your knowledge is invaluable but reverse that situation and imagine a first time visitor in France in an RV or Truck using TT.

I see your comment that TT is for Cars not large vehicles. Yes I had a similar comment from TT support saying that too. But where does it say that in their publicity? I look on their web site - I look at their documents but nowhere does it say - not suitable for larger vehicles. In fact this last month in a magazine specifically marketed for users of larger vehicles (RV's) TT was reviewed. Why? If the product is not suitable then why offer it for evauation? The implication is that it is suitable so come and buy it.

I agree with you over the Truckers Option in a future release of TA maps - that will be interesting but I would like to know a whole lot more about what it gives me than I can get out of TT about the current product.

My current view , until proven otherwise , is that TT5 is a dangerous product. It is unsuitable for drivers of large vehicles and there are no controls which, in any meaningful way, assist in avoiding troublesome roads. Will I continue to use it - well yes probably ( I love danger) because there are other benefits. In France I have no local knowledge and tend to rely on guidance however inadequate. I also like the route arrival time assessment and the road layout map when approaching junctions etc. Yes I will continue to use it and benefit from it but that doen't stop me thinking that they could do a whole lot better if only they started to take the matter of their routing algorithms more seriously.

Beef over - for now.

Roy
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Navigation Pack box says it is for "personal navigation". Nothing about different types of vehicle, but I guess personal navigation does not include HGVs until the habit of people driving absurdly large runabouts round central London really takes off!
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I am happy to accept the point about Personal Navigation.

It's just a pity that for probably such little effort they couldn't make the product more widely useful - and keep picky like me off their backs

Thanks for putting me straight.

Roy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: