Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT-338 Firmware Upgrade V3.1.1 (EGNOS a temporary feature?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT-338 Firmware Upgrade V3.1.1 (EGNOS a temporary feature?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b1zaphod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: BT-338 Firmware Upgrade V3.1.1 (EGNOS a temporary feature?) Reply with quote

My BT-338 has just arrived back with its new Firmware Ver:3.1.1 upgrade, and is sitting on the desk at the moment tracking PRN:120 giving me an impressive EGNOS 3d+DGps Fix as reported by SIRFDemo 3.751, Memory-Map & OzExplorer!. Unfortunately for some unknown reason the DGPS View page of SIRFDemo still remains blank? and I also appear to have the "Forget EGNOS enabled" bug as soon as the GPS is switched off or powers down after loosing the Blutooth link. Maybe we will have to wait for Ver3.1.2 to fix that bug? or maybe its a GlobalSat DESIGN Feature?

Trying to find out more about the "Forget EGNOS enabled" bug on my upgraded BT-338 GPS reciver, after I pre-registered online at USGlobalsat Support website for the FREE e-mail support, I was sent the following in answer to my question "Why WAAS/EGNOS enable stops working after power off then on?".

Quote:
Support Ticket: #607
Support Ticket Date: 8/25/2005 9:25:00 AM
Support Product: BT-338 Firmware Upgrade V3.1.1

A response to your support ticket is below:

Thank you for contacting USGlobalsat's online care. The WAAS feature is a temporary setting enable via SiRFDemo programming utility. As you experience, once power is terminated to device these custom settings will revert to default configurations.
Remember...
Don’t Get Lost, get GPS!!

Best regards,
USGlobalSat Technical Support

8O "I don't belive it!!" 8O How can they advertise it on their web site as New BT-338 V3.1.1 WAAS Capable! when they admit that The WAAS feature is a temporary setting?? Or have I got it all wrong, and its only the Upgrade that has WAAS as a tempory setting? & if you buy a new BT-338 Ver3.1.1 its a properly working feature?
Whilst tralling the internet I've found out how to enable WAAS/EGNOS on the BT-338 with the Ver3.1.1 firmware without having to use SIRFDemo or GPSInfo, you just need to send; $PSRF108,01 <CR><LF> to the serial COM port your BT-338 is connected, (I used Windows Hyper terminal) and it should reply with:

$PSRFTXT,NMEA151(): DGPSSource :1
NMEA151(): DGPSSource :1
$PSRFTXT,Version:GSW3.1.1LowV_3.1.00.07-C23B1.00
$PSRFTXT,Version2:F-GPS-03-0506221
$PSRFTXT,WAAS Enable
$PSRFTXT,TOW: 415190
$PSRFTXT,WK: 1337
$PSRFTXT,POS: xxxxxxx -xxxxxx xxxxxx
$PSRFTXT,CLK: 96072
$PSRFTXT,CHNL: 12
$PSRFTXT,Baud rate: 38400 System clock: -1695.703MHz

and a few moments later lots of DGPS fixs (denoted by the 2) example of one shown below;

$GPGGA,192105.000,xxxx.0286,N,00xxx.0756,W,2,08,0.9,5.7,M,48.0,M,1.8,0000*64
So now all I've got to do is figure out how to get my PPC automatically to do the same each time I switch the BT-338 on. What I need is more information on all the other NMEA $PSRFxxx input commands, the NMEA documents on USGlobalSats web site only list $PSRF100 to $PSRF105. Also any pointers on any SIRF programing tools/SDK's etc similar to Franson GpsTools only using the SIRF protocol.

Thanks Zaphod.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Holux GR-213 with 3.1.1 FW shows the exact same behaviour as your BT-338 which has given me the same frustration. I too have asked myself how I can switch on EGNOS automatically (i.e without having to start GPSViewer) when I start my PDA. Interesting to hear that it's all down to the FW on the SiRF chip!

Another issue for me is that my Navigation SW (Navman SmartST V3) has no knowledge of DGPS. It makes no indication of 3D DGPS fix but keeps displaying "3D fix". Not sure if any road navigation programs has started making use of EGNOS yet. It should be quite easy to enable/disable EGNOS from the navigation program, by sending the serial message you're mentioning, right?

Regards,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
xavalon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While EGNOS went into operation 28 of July 2005, it is still considered a sort of a 'beta field' test in order to qualify and optimise EGNOS operations.

The EGNOS open service will be declared available in early 2006, once the operations have been proven to be stable and robust.

I doubt if soon car-navigation will use the EGNOS data, since it is more designed for maritime and aviation use (car-navigation is listed as a use though). Car-navigation already have algorithms to fix you on the calculated road.

BTW, while your device probably receives the EGNOS signal via satellites, you need to have two (out of 3) EGNOS satellites visible. In (dense) urban situations, visibility to the satellites (also the ordinary GPS satellites) might be limited; it is possible to retrieve the EGNOS signal by other means: e.g. GSM, radio and Internet. I doubt that current EGNOS devices, especially current cheaper GPS units, can retrieve the EGNOS signals other than via satellites. Agree, I don’t know if EGNOS signals are already transmitted via radio, GSM or Internet.
Leif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receiving from one SBAS (WAAS, EGNOS...) satellite is enough for DGPS fix but that can be hard enough depending on the environment.

I have a Yakumo Delta 300 GPS. When trying an older GPS firmware (2.3.2-GSW2-2.05.024-C1PROD1.0_6A) which supports SBAS, it also lost the SBAS setting when turned off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: