Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iCN520 Quick Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iCN520 Quick Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: iCN520 Quick Question Reply with quote

Just spoke to a mate who has a Navman iCN650 and on his unit you can add your exact current location to your favorites. He said you do the following:

Stop Car (Obviously)
Click Ok
- It then shows your Longitude and Latiude
Click Ok (or options?)
You can then select lots of options from a list... one saying "Add To Favorites"
Give it a name
Press ok and its done - that exact place.

The iCN650 uses SmartST V3 and the iCN520 uses the SmartST 2005 (newest version)... I am guessing if the above is possible on the iCN650 then it will be on the 520??

Can anyone confirm this?? As this really is a big selling point for me and something I really need to be able to do.

Cheers
Darren ;)
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noonster
Just tried it on my 520, yes it works, can save to favourites.
shughie
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
Hi Noonster
Just tried it on my 520, yes it works, can save to favourites.
shughie

Thats brilliant news....

How many favorties can you have?

Also how long have you ahd the 520 and what do you think about it?? Been thinking about getting one and seen it for just under £300 on blokesstuff.com looks like a steal at sub £300. (Where did you get yours?)

Anything you could tell me about it, some advice anything really would be a great help. Things like how acurate it is, what the signal is like, does it fit in your pocket, whats the battery life like - things like that :D

Once again thanks for answering my question and anymore help you could give would be much appreciated as its either this or a TomTom I go for.

Cheers
Daz :D
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noonster,
Had it just over two months, from Halfords. I got the 520 partly on price, mostly as I wanted it to fit in my pocket without a huge bulge, as I intended to take the obvious precautions.
It hasn`t steered me wrong yet, if I detour from the route given, it corrects within 2 or 3 seconds, I find it easy to use (very essential...hehe) Signal for mobiles, tv etc where I live is poor, but the 520 copes well, with occasionally 3 minutes for first lock on if I haven`t used it for a bit. Normally I set the route indoors, put it in the car and by the time I have seat belt on and got comfy, she has a fix. I am quite happy with it, I didn`t expect perfection as nothing is perfect. I have a heat reflective screen and put the unit near a side window and all is well.
My only disappointment is being from N. Ireland, the poor maps for there, but according to posts on this site, that seems to be the case with tom tom too.
Hope my rambling helps.
shughie.
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps
I put a 512 card in which gives me plenty of room for POIs
shughie
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
Hi Noonster,
Had it just over two months, from Halfords. I got the 520 partly on price, mostly as I wanted it to fit in my pocket without a huge bulge, as I intended to take the obvious precautions.
It hasn`t steered me wrong yet, if I detour from the route given, it corrects within 2 or 3 seconds, I find it easy to use (very essential...hehe) Signal for mobiles, tv etc where I live is poor, but the 520 copes well, with occasionally 3 minutes for first lock on if I haven`t used it for a bit. Normally I set the route indoors, put it in the car and by the time I have seat belt on and got comfy, she has a fix. I am quite happy with it, I didn`t expect perfection as nothing is perfect. I have a heat reflective screen and put the unit near a side window and all is well.
My only disappointment is being from N. Ireland, the poor maps for there, but according to posts on this site, that seems to be the case with tom tom too.
Hope my rambling helps.
shughie.

Shughie,

Thanks again for the reply!
- How much did it set you back at halfords mate? as you said partly on price.

Yeah one of my main things is I need it to fit inside the case and then into my pocket... you can get it into Jeans, trousers, shirt pockets without problem then?? Thats REALLY good news if you can!

2-3 Seconds for re-routing is not a problem... and waiting for a few mins for it to setup is no probs either, as ALWAYS leave my car to warm up for 3-5mins before I drive anywhere so i wouldnt even notice that!!

Yeah I heard that the TomTom wasnt that great in NI anyways... and like you say nothing is perfect I just want something thats good value for money and will do the job I need, and it really sounds like this will.

Darren

PS... How much is a 512 card? and do you just do a full backup of the original card onto the PC and then copy that data onto the new card and it just works?? Where do you get a card reader from?? All the ones I looked at didnt look to good Sad

Thanks again!!
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Cost £329, so for £300 you can`t go far wrong. Halfords are now giving a snooper free with the 520, but I`ve put the camera files from this site on so I get a warning anyway, I`m not bothered about knowing what the speed limit is, only that there`s a camera about.
I put in in my trouser pocket and don`t really know it`s there, so that`s no prob.
I got the 512 card for my camera some months ago from ebuyer for about £16 so the camera is back to 32mb but who takes pictures anyway...hehe. Yes I just copied the original card onto the PC then onto the 512 put it in the 520 and it worked. The card reader was already on my PC.
shughie
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
Hi
Cost £329, so for £300 you can`t go far wrong. Halfords are now giving a snooper free with the 520, but I`ve put the camera files from this site on so I get a warning anyway, I`m not bothered about knowing what the speed limit is, only that there`s a camera about.
I put in in my trouser pocket and don`t really know it`s there, so that`s no prob.
I got the 512 card for my camera some months ago from ebuyer for about £16 so the camera is back to 32mb but who takes pictures anyway...hehe. Yes I just copied the original card onto the PC then onto the 512 put it in the 520 and it worked. The card reader was already on my PC.
shughie

Hello again....

Yeah seen it for £349 with the snooper but I dont need one of them and would rather save the £50 :D So will get it ordered online 2mora I think and hopefully should get delivered on Thursday or Friday... ready to have a play on the weekend!!

Im guessing if you have it as a limit it uses more POIs?? what alert does it give when you are near one?? just a siren sound or does it say Speed Camera ???meters/yards etc..??

What make card do you recommend and is it SD or MMC I need?? also will need to get a card reader however I have had 2 of them all in one things now and neither of them worked Sad - Not sure which to buy!! any ideas??

Trouser pocket - good good :D

Sounds easy to backup and copy to new card :D

Thanks for all your help mate.
Daz
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas on the above Shughie?

Got my unit ordered and will be collecting at lunchtime (bout 1hrs).
- How long does it take for the initial charge??

Cheers
Darren :D
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the unit now.... looks really smart - love the black look and fits into a shirt pocket without problems.

Ready to go home now and get it charged... Have read the manual and it says nothing about an initial charge time so will prob charge it for around 4.5hrs and then use it when I go out at 10pm.

Think that will be ok?

Thanks for the advice people and no doubt I will need more when i get round to doing the cameras etc... :o
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren
The alert is a `PING` gets your attention though. According to posts on here if you change the alert to a wav you end up losing the voice on the unit. I hear a ping and take some weight off my right foot to make sure I`m being a good boy.
What initial charge, I just plugged it into the fag lighter at Halfords and tried it on the way home, it charges while plugged in to fag lighter.
shughie
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
Hi Darren
The alert is a `PING` gets your attention though. According to posts on here if you change the alert to a wav you end up losing the voice on the unit. I hear a ping and take some weight off my right foot to make sure I`m being a good boy.
What initial charge, I just plugged it into the fag lighter at Halfords and tried it on the way home, it charges while plugged in to fag lighter.
shughie

Ping - thats fine.

Yeah... but What I ment it I am going to try and run it off the battery rather than plugging it in everytime. So I asumed there was an initial charge time, like a mobile if you like, to break the new battery in

If not then will just plug it in when I get home and wait till its full and then use it... HOWEVER if thats the case I could have been charging it now Sad
- And its also a bit late as I only have 1 hours left at work! Sad Sad
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charge it either way, whichever you prefer. If you don`t want to use the fag lighter, then charge indoors from the mains and use wire free in the car.
shughie
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
Charge it either way, whichever you prefer. If you don`t want to use the fag lighter, then charge indoors from the mains and use wire free in the car.
shughie

Yeah Charged it last night.... took around 2hrs to get the battery full.
- Drove for about an hour in total now, and had it on for about an hour playing and the battery is still full :D
V8ALY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my icn520 with snooper s2 for £315 from halfords 3weeks ago never new they where doing another discount on it till i went to store i even phoned them up after looking at it on the net and they never told me of the discount am well chuffed :D my first destination with the nav was the orkneys it even gave me ferry terminal great machine with good gps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: