Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 is appauling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 is appauling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: TTN5 is appauling Reply with quote

I have Dell Axim X5/Belkin Bluetooth CF card/Globalsat BT338 and the ubiquitous TTN5. So far I'm at 3 hours of my life down the drain trying to get this stuff to work together. 'No GPS device' is all I see. The GPS is paired berfore launching, I've tried fooling TTN5 by using the 'other' cable route. No joy, it just hangs.
Sat Nav is a god thing but TomTom are ensuring that it won't catch on. Also, it's been around for ages so why do I feel like an early adopter??
Are TomTom's engineers ex-Microsoft by any chance....

Any ideas out there???
Thanks
rob c
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seam to have been a few issues with the dell range of pdas for some reason have used tomtom for a number years they are usually quick to fix bugs i would have thought they are working to fix the problem
using the bt gps try connecting to the gps in the bt manager before starting tomtom

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read TT's blurb, it does say that the X5 is too slow and is therefore not supported...
Having said that, I have a Globalsat BC-307 CF GPS in my X5, and it performs very well with TT5.
rob_c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did check and according to TomTom's website the x5 is compatible with TTN5. That brings me to an interesting point. The Dell Axim is a couple of years old and was bought from Dell for ~£300.
The BT 338 came from Expansys for £130
The Belkin PDA bluetooth card was ~£40 from Amazon and
TTN5 was £120 from globalpositioningsystems.
If I find, after buying all that and assuming that it will work - which seems fair to me given the first line above - that it doesn't work, why should the various shops take back perfectly good products because TomTom have released such poor software onto the market?? I am furious about this. I would happily test their beta software but they should supply it for free.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>TomTom have released such poor software onto the market<

The answer I suggest is that of the money you spent on PDA, GPS unit and s/w, TomTom have only captured a percentage of the s/w revenue (after fees to Navteq etc). So they aren't wanting to make the PDA a long-term platform, preferring to advertise the integrated GO series where they can maximise revenue by selling a combined h/w and s/w unit. Profit maximisation of (a newly quoted company) means that the PDA s/w will never get the same quality control as the in-house GO product range.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that has concerned me since TT declared at the recent meet that their main focus was their Go devices.
rob_c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Don't buy TOMTOM Reply with quote

So, no answers there then apart from the usual work arounds - which have not worked in this case, and some wise words that TomTom have no actual business interest in PDA's. Fantastic.
So, why did no one share their wisdom on this forum months ago?
Here, I'll do it now....

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A TOMTOM PRODUCT THEN DON'T.
IT'S EXPENSIVE RUBBISH THAT DOES NOT WORK. HAVE A LOOK AT THIS FORUM AND YOU'LL DOZENS OF POOR SODS LIKE MYSELF WHO HAVE BEEN CONNED INTO PARTING WITH HUNDREDS OF POUNDS FOR CRAP SOFTWARE.

IF YOU MUST BUY IT THEN INSIST ON TESTING IT BEFORE YOU BUY.

Anyone want a Dell Axim X5? and some other paperweights??
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read this:
http://tinyurl.com/dzesy
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you're having all that trouble and hope it comes right for you. I can see where you're coming from and we're all entitled to a view. After all that time without getting it to work, your blood pressure must be soaring.

But, whilst I'm not on BT here and got TTN5 on a Mio 168 (so can't offer tech support), I've found it a great piece of software that - like TTN3 before - has never yet let me down big time.

Really hope you can get the software and hardware reconciled soon and that becomes your experience too.
Horndean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this more to do with PDAs than TotmTom. I've got Navigator 5 on a HP ipaq rx3715 and it works great. Not had one problem. Must be lucky.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be because your using a bt card in the pda just a thought

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: