Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using a PPC with GPS and Software to send the signal to a PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a PPC with GPS and Software to send the signal to a PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsman2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Using a PPC with GPS and Software to send the signal to a PC Reply with quote

Does anybody know of any software that will route the GPS signal / data to a PC/Laptop using either infrared, bluetooth, or a USB cable??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory map (along with loads of others) will run with GPS data on the PC and does not need the PDA in the loop, what exactly are you trying to achieve, and what do you want to do with the GPS data on the PC is it just raw NMEA text strings or have you something more elaborate planned? - Mike
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSGate can do it via TCP/IP. You don't want to start with infrared or USB. Bluetooth supports TCP/IP

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gpsman2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to try and use autoroute to see if I could track the position. I have tried GPSGate which look like it would work, however the PDA with the GPS doesnt have a network adapter built into it, and I cant find anything that might let me pass the data via the active sync pass through connection.

(I thought it had blue tooth but it doesnt, i was confusing it with my other PDA)

The PDA is a Medion PNA100, which works fine on its own. Just fancied having a pay as I was bored. It seems it also doesnt allow for a SDIO wireless SD card so I think I will give up unless anyone can suggest a way using the USB cable or IR (I have tried these with GPSGate, but i dont think the data gets through at all).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using "AutoRoute" on a PC then it will support a GPS unit for direct connection the following is from its help file:

"To work with AutoRoute or Pocket Streets, your GPS receiver must be compliant with NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) standards, and its input/output format (interface) must be set to support the NMEA 0183 version 2.0 or later format. For more details, check the documentation that came with your receiver, or visit "

keep the com port below a value of 20 and you should be OK, I would not bother with the PDA just couple the GPS up direct to the laptop - is the GPS a bluetooth unit, if it is I am not too sure if MS AutoRoute will work with it or not, the configuration options just appear as serial data, which BT is but it doesn't want to try and hook to my Altina GPS, but the two serial port (rs232) units works fine - Mike
gpsman2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the GPS is built into the PDA - thats the whole point of my exersise, to see if I can save myself some money rather that getting an additional external GPS reciever
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried it myself but GPSGATE should let you do it through a serial cable of your PDA.

If your PDA is a Mio clone, which has a serial port (com 1), you can use a serial cable to connect to another PDA/PC, using GPSGATE.
Leif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GpsGate should work but there is also another, a bit more primitive solution, named com2com.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/palmday/main_sw_ppccom2com.html

I have tried it with my Yakumo Delta 300 GPS, which is a Mitac Mio 168 clone, to copy data from GPS on com2 to hardware serial port on com1 and also to the Ir-port on com3 or 4 and to another PC. Port numbers might be different on your PDA. Only 4800 baud is supported.

Best Regards
Leif

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: