Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pretec CompactGPS + Ext Ant
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pretec CompactGPS + Ext Ant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pretec CompactGPS + Ext Ant Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of the above, and use it religiously. My question is, how much of an improvement in signal strength, no of satellites detected / locked and persistance of lock do you experience with the external antenna? I mostly use it in the car. Comments welcome before I part with my cash!

Mark

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pretec CompactGPS + Ext Ant Reply with quote

Mark, It's hard to really say. When you're on the move, signals are going to be fluctuating. In my tests I found probably on average a 2 sat difference, it really does depend on the current signal strength and where it's positioned in car.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

using the LP version with an external antenna on the roof of a people carrier, I went from 3/4 sats with 50% power without the external to 7/8 sats (8 is the max with the LP card) with 95% power (looking at the bars on tomtom's gps software).

Based on my (limited) experience I would recommend it. (it also sticks to the roof very well as I went through a car wash yesterday and forgot it was up there - to my surprise and relief it was still there when it had finished!).

mstockha
Occasional Visitor

Thanks, based on what others have said it looks like I may get a satellite or two more (I do take into account that performance varies, the value of your lock may vary, investments may rise / fall / crash etc :-) )

I'll buy one now and let you all know how it goes.

Mark

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

OK, first impressions. Very small external antenna from Pretec, strong magnet, and very long cable.

I have positioned the ant on the windowsill of my office (onto the courtyard) and get an intermittent lock. Considering that the visible sky is postage stamp like, I cannot wait to try it in the car. As has been mentioned before, the connector into the side of the CompactGPS unit it a bit stiff, and will need care to ensure that it does not get bent. Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting installment (plus whether I can get the Arkon vent mount to fit my car)

Mark

Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think the main thing to worry about with the connector is constant abuse on the pull as to unplug it requires quite a bit of effort, and there isn't much of a plug to grab hold of.
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

Yes, the plug to the external antenna could be an issue over time, I will just have to be careful.

I have used the kit in anger now, and am VERY impressed with the performance of the GPS with the external antenna attached. I have it atached to the top off the roll hoop on my convertible, and get a good 7 satellites regularly. All that now needs sorting is the cable run. 9/10, a great addition for £30ish.

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

i can verify the constant use ive gone thorugh 2 cables in 6 months the plgs just seam to fall to bits but ive never had less than a 5 sat lock

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I prefer the newer MCX connection sockets/plugs, they're alot easier to plug in and unplug causing less ware and tare on the socket.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

dave ill see you about them at the summit if thats ok

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: