Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loads of various questions!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loads of various questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mo786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Loads of various questions! Reply with quote

Hi
Just got TTM5 and will be using it with a 6600.

1) Where do you guys position it in your car? I feel probably somewhere near the centre console? I would have thought it would be easier on the right hand side perhaps suck to the side of the door (closer, easier to see)

2) I can tell the 6600's sound wil lbe low with music on in the ca - anyone know of any handsfree kits that are really loud?

3) The NAVIGATE TO > GPS POISITION is blacked out on my version - any ideas how I can fix this? I wanna use it for Geocaching and does anyone one know any other software that can be used for GC when you are closer to the target?

4) Anyone one know of any decent tools to hold the actual phone in the car? The official Nokia holder requires screwing I would prefer one of those suction things but not anything too biy - perhaps a sucrion thing on a bendy stick which then holds the phone (and is easily moveable when driving to move the phone around?)
paulgray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I am still waiting for my tomtom version 5 (6 weeks since order and counting) Sad

Anyway in the mean time I have been using an older version of tomtom on an IPAQ and have found (in the UK where we drive on the left) that the best place to mount your kit is on the right hand side, near the drivers side door pillar, about 1/3 of the way up the windscreen, this way it hardly obscures any of your windscreen.

I have tried other places to mount the unit, but where I have it is in a more natural "line of sight" for your normal driving position. I have found that the middle of the screen (where you see most TomTom Go units mounted) seems to take your eye right off the road when making a quick glance at the unit. As well as this, having the unit slap bang in the middle of the windscreen looks like it really blocks your view of a good proportion of the road.

Just my opinion, but I have been using portable GPS for about 2.5 years.

As for the mounting for your phone, unfortunately I cannot help you there, as I have an orange SPV C500, and have found decent car windscreen suction mounts impossible to come by (If anyone has any ideas of a decent one, please get in touch!).

Anyway good luck, and enjoy your new toy (hope I get mine soon).

Paul
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Sponsor me for my Great Wall of China Trek in aid of Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Go to www.justgiving.com/paulgray to donate with your Credit/Debit Card
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

answers

ref the c500 car holder halfords sell a suction mout that holds ny c500 its £14.99 ish all the halfords ive been in have them in stock

1. mine is just to the left of the steering whell on a screen suction mount

2. nokia sells a speaker that plugs in to the car power socket carphone w/house stock it but its not cheap £40-50ISH

3. the bt sat reciever has to be on and locked to sats for this to work but as you are already at that position i think you can only save into favorites for future use

4 see first answer same car holder also fits 6600

you can also buy from halfords a three way power socket adaptor if you are on long journeys and need to charge the phone and sat reciever and handsfree speaker you cant usualy plug them all in at the same time

hope this helps

erniew
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,59559,00.html

look here for car speaker

erniew
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add, I got the same Nokia speaker secondhand from ebay for about 4 quid. Works a treat!

And you lucky thing, I've also had TTM5 on order for 6 weeks for a 6600 and I still haven't got it yet...
laich71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re car mount for the phone, the best least destructive is the magnetic disk from carphonewarehouse. Stick the metal strip inside the battery cover as not to ruin the look of the phone. Magnetic disk stick with self adhesive pad to....anywhere you like!!!

Worked a treat for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: