Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - h2210 TT5 - 3D Map slow to refresh...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

h2210 TT5 - 3D Map slow to refresh...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drift3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: h2210 TT5 - 3D Map slow to refresh... Reply with quote

Hello,

I currently have an iPaq h2210, a CF GPS unit, and a 1Gb SD card with TomTom 5 installed on it.

I've been happily using this combination to navigate and thought everything was fine until I recently saw a TomTom Go device in operation.

The striking difference between the two was the 3d map refresh rate when driving around. On my iPaq the map changes frame at about once every second, resulting in it "jerking" as my location is updated on the map. Yet on the TomTom Go the map screen refresh is very smooth, with something like 15fps, resulting in a more detailed update of your position.

I especially notice the difference on roundabouts because on my iPaq I could have driven past the roundabout before TomTom even realises I've got there, making it difficult to know if I'm making the correct turning, yet the Go smoothly updated the exact position.

I thought the 1fps was normal, thinking it was a GPS fix issue, but seeing a Go working so well it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

- So, is this a problem with the 2210 processor speed? At 400Mhz I'd have thought not...? (TomTom Go 300 uses 200Mhz)
- Could it be the baud rate at which GPS data is received? (I run at 4800). I believe this may not be the case because when running the demo on tomtom after planning a route, it still refreshes at 1fps.
- What speed do other users with a similar setup get?
- Is there a way to increase the frames per second of the map display?
- Or should I just accept it because the PDA has a M$ OS which slows everything down? Smile

Thanks in advance for any help
Paul.
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Just loaded tt5 a few days ago, so its a bit early for me to comment on the screen refresh, as I am trying a new setup. One prob posted was displaying any user poi's when in Nav mode, the temp fix is to "hide poi" & use the warn poi feature as an alert say for the speed cams - until a fix from tt arrives.

I have a socket BT gps & run at 38400 baud setting on NMEA config.

Pete
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an HP iPAQ 2210 but use a BT GPS receiver and have maps on a CF card. Scrolling is fine (don't know how much smoother a GO might be) and definately not as slow as you describe.

What I can say though is the 2210 has a poor SD card interface implementation and back in TT2 days having maps on a CF card was quicker for route planning etc. than the "fast" SD card I bought. I also know of others who had problems with lost GPS signal on TT3 when using a TT GPS BT receiver and an SD card for maps. The problem went away when they got a CF card.

However for you this is not an option because you are using the CF slot for the GPS receiver.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try and "borrow" another sd card from a different manufacturer and see if that makes a difference, some are just far faster than the others even though they claim the same speed - mike
drift3r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete/Hogbreath, it was my list of 35 POI's causing the refresh issues!!

I deleted them all from the Great-Britian map folder and whatdyaknow it works a treat!!! Shame I didn't realise earlier because I've spent the last two weeks in France with the jerky frame rate thinking it was normal!!

Cheers,
Paul.
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re welcome. I would put em back in the GB folder as it is only when displayed does this cause a prob in tt, the hide poi function together with the warn when near poi will still work & allow you to use your poi's in a limited way.

Apologies if I'm telling you how to suck eggs Embarassed

Pete

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: