Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Subcategories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Subcategories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Speed Camera Subcategories Reply with quote

I have downloaded the speed camera database for my tt5 5.1 navigator, and also downloaded the custom warnings. The warnings suggest that you can set them to warn of a 30mph limit or 40mph zone camera, but the POI's I have only indicate the type of camera, not the camera and speed zone.
Do I need to download a different set?
Thanks
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you downloaded the pocket gps camera set then you need to use the speed zoned folder in the download cos thats the one that contains the cameras with speed symbols Smile
Ossey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,.
Do I need to remove my installed cameras first, before adding the zoned cams?
Thanks
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes Smile
Ossey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Instant help, i'm most impressed. Smile
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your welcome
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, Does TT5 (PocketPC) have the facility to warn if you are over a certain speed or do we need 3rd party software.

TIA
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.....I dont believe there is any 3rd party software that does this either
reason being if you notice when you are driving and using tt the satellites pick you up at a slower speed to what you are actually doing(usually about 5mph slower) therefore giving an inaccurate measurement
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky,

Don't quote me on this, but after reading several posts on here about the speed difference I beleive that the Navigator will be more accurate than your speedo.

I do know that the speedo in your car can be anything upto 11% out as long as it says you are going faster than you are. They can not be even 1% out the other way.

Due to the fact that wear and tear, worn tyres etc will effect the accuracy most manafacturers will start at the higher end of the scale and make sure worn tyres etc bring it down the scale....
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markyhedgehog73 wrote:
No.....I dont believe there is any 3rd party software that does this either
reason being if you notice when you are driving and using tt the satellites pick you up at a slower speed to what you are actually doing(usually about 5mph slower) therefore giving an inaccurate measurement

You'll find that it is your speedo that is inaccurate not the GPS. There have been many discussions here about it.
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right thanks for that guys I never knew that 8O
I like it when you can to learn something new everyday...otherwise it really would be boring Laughing
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds about right to me. gps should be more accurate than any speedo. however it's funny when the plod pull you for speeding they say more than your speedo wasreading yet your speedo is faster than your going. maybe they should get those calibrated more accurately than they claim they are.

cheers
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlimboyFat wrote:
marky,

Don't quote me on this, but after reading several posts on here about the speed difference I beleive that the Navigator will be more accurate than your speedo.

I do know that the speedo in your car can be anything upto 11% out as long as it says you are going faster than you are. They can not be even 1% out the other way.

Due to the fact that wear and tear, worn tyres etc will effect the accuracy most manafacturers will start at the higher end of the scale and make sure worn tyres etc bring it down the scale....

Not according to Honda, I took my Civic in for a check because above 30 MPH there was an increasing difference between my speedo and GPS to a point where the speedo was reading 10MPH above the GPS but Honda put the car on their test rig and said that the Speedo reading was 1MPH under reading at 60 MPH so it was spot on. I think their rig needs checking but they insist not. GPS on along straight road has to be more accurate.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One major point to remember when using the GPS speed is to realise that only on LEVEL ground, if you start to climb, or decend the speed readout will be incorrect - but not by too much unless on a 10% grad (or more severe) - I have checked my units out at work against a police camera (note I do not work for the Polices just our works police use the same equipment to trap drivers out on the airfield) and found the GPS to be spot on whereas the speedo was reading 5MPH over the actual (30MPH in this case) - next time you see a police man in the back of his van pull over and have a chatt - ask him to record your velocity, and make a second pass at a known GPS speed (in a 30 zone make sure it is 28 or less) then stop and ask him what you were doing - cross correllation will sort out which is more acurate - I have found the Police most approachable and normally interested in why you want the information - if you explain that you suspect the vehicles speedo is inaccurate and want to get it fixed etc.. - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: