Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No satellite bars with Haicom 303E and TT5.x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No satellite bars with Haicom 303E and TT5.x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiwiGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: No satellite bars with Haicom 303E and TT5.x Reply with quote

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me figure out my current problem with TT5...

I'm using a Haicom 303E CF card (plugged into the PDA, not via the bluetooth slipper). My PDA is a Toshiba e805. TT5 can get a signal from the 303E and thus work (sometimes the signal takes about a minute, other times it can take 5-10 minutes or even longer - I never had that problem with TT3 but that is not my main concern here).

The problem is that the row of satellite "bars" at the bottom of the TT5 display don't work - I think they are supposed to fill up depending on how many satellites are in use, but mine all stay empty. If I click on them so that the routing page comes up with that satellite column on the right-hand side, that also says "no satellites" - yet at the same time TT5 *is* getting a good satellite feed from the 303E and is able to work fine.

This isn't a huge problem but it would be really great to have TT5 telling me how many satellites are actually in use so that I can see when I have a weaker signal or not.

I've had this problem with TT 5.0 and also with the new 5.1 patch - no difference.

I've tried reconfiguring the GPS device but that doesn't help (selecting "Other Cable NMEA" with 4800 baud, then selecting "CF Card Generic" or whatever it is called from the top of the list).

Any ideas? (Any suggestions for getting the signal to lock on faster than the 5-10 mins it sometimes takes would also be nice!)

I dunno if this is caused by TT5 not being compatible with the 303E or with the Toshiba e805. Or something else.

I should add that I never had this problem with TT3 - that version was always able to indicate exactly how many satellites were locked on at any given time.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's to do with the driver that your gps receiver is using, if you click to the gps status screen when in TT5 I presume that you can see the bars are grey at the bottom, if they are then you are getting a signal and as you know they turn to blue when showing a lock, but if the map itself turns from grey to the normal colour, then the signal is OK and you are getting a lock, I had this using a Medion 95000 (re-branded Mio168) but found a gps driver update that made the bars display properly, you are getting a lock if the map is the normal colour, its only the driver that's preventing it showing a lock, see if there is a driver update, if not I think that it is still working ok and you are getting the the max number of sats even though you cannot see that.
KiwiGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
That's to do with the driver that your gps receiver is using...

Thanks for the tip! You're right, the map does show in the correct colour once a GPS signal is received, and TT5 then works fine - it's just the satellite bars that don't show up, which means I can't see how many sats I have and thus can't see if it's only down to 2 or 1 sat.

So why would this have worked fine in TT3 but not TT5?

Anyway, this driver you refer to, would it be a driver from Haicom (the GPS device manufacturer), or a driver from Toshiba (the PDA manufacturer)?

I've never installed any GPS drivers before - none came with the Haicom 303E when I bought it. It just went into the CF slot and worked fine the first time with no special setup or drivers needed. I assumed the GPS drivers were built into the OS or something.

Anyway I'm not aware of any drivers being available from Haicom. There are none listed on their website (for ANY of their devices, I think).

Cheers,
Jeremy
KiwiGuy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
That's to do with the driver that your gps receiver is using...

Incidentally, any idea why sometimes it takes about 1 minute, and other times it takes 20-30 minutes or so to get a lock? And that's in spite of pulling out the GPS card and re-inserting it, or restarting TT5, or even soft-resetting the PDA - and driving out in the countryside with no buildings or trees to block the view. Very strange! And again I never had this problem with TT3 of course....!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a driver update then it would be from Haicom web site, but if none are listed then you may have to just live with it.

Just down to one of TT5 many quirks.
gryphon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Haicom promblem with TT5 Reply with quote

I am also having the same problem with my HI303E & my new TT5 navigator maps. It can take up to 5 - 10 mins to activate the GPS, then after a while the signal will be lost, making the map spin out of control. It may find a signal again, then spin again, meaning I am always getting lost at the worst possible places! This never happened with TT2 and it makes the whole system useless. I don't know what to do - can anyone help?Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: