Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - toshiba e350+tomtom 2 power down
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

toshiba e350+tomtom 2 power down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coyote_karl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: toshiba e350+tomtom 2 power down Reply with quote

Ok, thats it. Finally the navigator does the job i bought it for.

But now there is a different problem. If the slider got this setting and the pda is switched off (this time i switched it off :-)), it will lose all the battery power within 24 hours.

If i kill the tomtom-task before switching the pda off it does not lose any power.

Do you know if the keep alive-function even works with the pda powered off ?

btw - many thanks for your help.

coyote

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: toshiba e350+tomtom 2 power down Reply with quote

The right thing to do is to exit Navigator when you're finished - and you should see the GPS driver icon disappear from the bottom of your Today screen (it's the one that looks like a satellite dish). That will stop the 'keep alive' function in the GPS driver that you've now enabled from keeping your Pocket PC alive when you're not using Navigator!

Just pressing the X at the top right of the screen (except in the Navigator screen) will, as is usual with Pocket PC, just minimise the application. You can use the Exit option on the File menu, the Exit Application button on the Navigator menu (version 2.22 and above only) or you can install a program like Spb Pocket Plus or a recent enough version of Battery Pack that allows you to configure the X button to close instead of minimise.

If the GPS driver doesn't die when you've exited Navigator, soft reset the Pocket PC.

Hopefully that should get everything behaving correctly.

David
coyote_karl
Occasional Visitor

I got a really weird problem with this combo. Not the Software freezes. After a while the whole pda locks down and you have to switch it on again. Sometimes the connection to the gps-receiver can not be established after turning it on again. Then you have to replug the power supply or you will have to do a reset.

This behavior may appear every one to three minutes; sometimes the navigator works for hours.

First of all i thought of a software error and updated to 2.24 then i switched off all power savings in the pda-setup. Also switched of the infrared.... nothing.

The idea of the power cable being corruted and changing it at my distributor didnt help.

Please help me. switching on and reseting the pda all the time really su...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

First off, make sure you've installed the latest GPS driver (version 2.06, which you can pick up from the same download location as the Navigator 2.24 upgrade).

If that alone doesn't cure your problem, go to GPS status from within TomTom Navigator, and, on the second tab there (the one where you configure your GPS), drag the left of the two sliders to the right. That should force the Pocket PC to be 'kept alive' when the GPS driver is running.

Does that help?

David
coyote_karl
Occasional Visitor

The newest drivers are installed, but the "pda-power-down" problem is still there.

I will now try the gps-setting, perhaps this will help.

....to be continued ....and many thanks for your hint.

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Hopefully the slider will sort your problem. When you've found the right one, you'll see a Pocket PC icon with a blue screen and white ZZZ change to one with a white screen with red TomTom hands on it.

If that doesn't help, I think your only option is to change the power settings for your Pocket PC when you have external power applied.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by coyote_karl on 11 July 2003

If the slider got this setting and the pda is switched off (this time i switched it off :-)), it will lose all the battery power within 24 hours.

Are you sure that your PDA isn't powering itself on later ? If you have tasks or calendar appointments set, then the Pocket PC will wake up for these, and it will also wake up at midnight. If you have TomTom or any other program left running which stops the PDA from turning itself off, it will just stay on constantly until the battery dies, and this maybe what you're experiencing.

Personally I use Icbar, I find this allwos me to close apps effortlessly.
coyote_karl
Occasional Visitor

Ok. I think its the keep alive function. The pda did not lose any power if i clear the memory before switching it off.

Thanks for all your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: