Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I promise, last question I'll ask.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I promise, last question I'll ask.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: I promise, last question I'll ask. Reply with quote

Thankyou for advice so far. I think I am decided to get a GPS/PDA unit now thanks to one of your recos. I'm leaning toward the Garmin IqueM5. I found it for 649.00 delivered w/ a 1.0 GB memory card included. My dumb question is how does this connect to the internet, and what is the approx monthly charge for this access? Thanmks, and sorry to ask such a dumb question, but cant find the answer to that in all my reading thus far.
Wesley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I promise, last question I'll ask. Reply with quote

Bill_D wrote:
My dumb question is how does this connect to the internet, and what is the approx monthly charge for this access?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question, but using a PDA to access the internet is basically the same as using a laptop or desktop to access the internet. So the answer to your "monthly charge" question is "however much your ISP charges for internet access"

The most significant difference between the PDA and a desktop is that your desktop most likely has a modem, while a PDA usually relies on a wireless connection. You then either need to have a wireless router in your home, or you need to find wireless hotspots where you can connect to the internet. Those hotspots might be at a coffee shop, or might be at your place of work. Wireless internet access is becoming more and more common out on the streets, but I use my wireless router in my house that's hooked up to my cable modem.

The other thing to note is that the M5 does NOT have wireless built in. This, for me, was a dealbreaker. It means that you'd need to buy a wireless card to plug into it in addition to either finding hotspots or hooking up a wireless 'transmitter' to your existing internet connection.

Oh, I think the M5 does have bluetooth, so it's possible that you could also use that connect to your internet connection.

HTH
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect to the internet via your main PC and your PDA connected via ActiveSync to it.
Wesley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
You can connect to the internet via your main PC and your PDA connected via ActiveSync to it.

Indeed. I got sidetracked focusing on using a PDA as a standalone unit and thinking about wireless and somesuch, but even though I've never used an M5, I'm sure you can do what pocketgps said as well.

Which makes the answer the same "however much your ISP charges for internet access" Smile
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Connect to Internet on PDA using Your PC and ActiveSync? Reply with quote

Hello Pocketgps,

I would like to connect to the internet on my PDA using my PC with an activesync connection. Could you explain how to accomplish this? Thanks.

Rubberman
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Connect to Internet on PDA using Your PC and ActiveSync? Reply with quote

Rubberman wrote:

I would like to connect to the internet on my PDA using my PC with an activesync connection. Could you explain how to accomplish this? Thanks.
Rubberman

Connect your PDA via ActiveSync to your main pc, then on the ActiveSync menu click on Tools - Options, then on the Rules tab make sure that Pass Through-Connection is set to The Internet.

Then connect to the internet the usual way with your main pc (you can close your normal main pc browser), and your PDA should now be connected.

No other hardware or software is required.
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Connect to Internet on PDA using Your PC and ActiveSync? Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. That worked nicely. I've been using Wi-Fi all this time and didn't realize I could use activesync to get there also.

Regards,

Rubberman
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should of been a little more specific, Main question, how does the iqueM5 (SINCE IT"S NOT A PHONE) connect to the internet on it's own? And if it indeed still dials out for that, what cell carrier is compatible w/ it? Thanks.
Bill_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iI'm assuming I have to link it to my current cell phone??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: