Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 700 slower at route plotting than 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 700 slower at route plotting than 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: GO 700 slower at route plotting than 300 Reply with quote

I have a 700 and 300 side by side here and I have actually found the 700 to be slower at plotting the same route as the 300!!

This may be because the 300 is card based and the 700 is disc based. However, as the 700 has a double speed processor, this was surprising.

The 700 also has double the RAM.

Can anyone confirm what is the gain of the higher speed processor and extra RAM? Perhaps the extra processor speed is needed to cope with the handsfree phone function. Perhaps the way the maps are organised on the 700 (i.e whole of Europe), that more RAM is needed to sort and isolate the relevant map areas.

Jonathan
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a 700 and 300 side by side here and I have actually found the 700 to be slower at plotting the same route as the 300!!

That's interesting. I have been looking at the 700 but have been wondering whether the hard disk would slow it down. How much difference in speed is there? I read a review recently on one of the new PDA's with a hard disk in place of a memory card and the main criticism was of it's lack of speed accessing the disk.

Roger
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slower route plotting is probably down to the fact that the 700 has a lot more roads to choose from when calculating a route (whole of euroupe at street level) whereas the 300 only has one country's roads to choose from.
Kavg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody in a position to compare plotting the same route with the 500 vs 700. side by side?

--Kav.
s_roberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is slower because it has a hard drive, hard drive access is ALWAYS slower than fixed memory card - this is the only disadvantage.

However you need to weigh up the pros and cons - of the two system, hard drive can store Europe and USA, SD card can only store one or the other but is much quicker
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do something more scientific to give you, but I noticed something in the order of 2-3 seconds in computing a route from Watford/Herts to Camberley. I don't think the slow down is earth shattering, but I just had the expectation of the opposite as the 700 has the faster processor.

Interestingly, the maps are different for the UK on the 300 and 700. For example, if I search for Camberely on the 700, it also lists Blackwater (Camberely), whereas the 300 only lists Camberely.

Jonathan
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note: A friend of mine got a GO 700 too. They were both perfectly sealed in the boxes when new. Both of them have a number of light scuffs/scratches on the back casing. This would suggest perhaps the hard drive is populated after the unit is assembled and they are not too careful in handling them. Minor point..but thought I would mention it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: