Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Option For a Complete Novice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Option For a Complete Novice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueshaan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Best Option For a Complete Novice Reply with quote

I am looking to start from scratch with a TomTom system on a SmartPhone. I do not have any technological expertise and am looking for advice as to how to progress.
At this stage I have no phone or TomTom equipment and would ask the following questions
1.Is it possible to buy the above as a complete package therefore meaning I could obtain from a one stop shop.
2.If not bearing in mind that the world is my oyster which phone/network should I be veering towards.
3. What car-mount should I use ?
4. I drive quite a noisy Diesel van and volume will be important
5. I am not that technically minded and the set up needs to be easy
6. Is there anything else i should consider

Stuff magazine recommend in their current issue the following
Nokia 6680
TomTom Mobile 5
Logitech Mobile freedon Headset

I hope that those of you out there with far greater knowledge than me can point me on my way to a stressfree routing solution
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you read these forums you will see that anything to do with tomtom is never easy and is always stressful Laughing Laughing

that said tomtom mbile 5 will probably serve your purpose very well

with regards to the phone look at the tom tom site and you will see what phones are compatible

i personaly use an orange spv c500 which was free on contract with orange which is loud enough for me in a car however you would probably need an extension speaker for you van

you are able to buy systems complete have a search on the web you will find very good resellers of systems such as global positioning systems

the set up is such that the gps reciever which is about the size of ten fag packet can sit on the dashboard or in the glove box which connects via bluetooth to your mobile phone

you are able to purchase a suction mount for the phone from such places as halfords for £15 ish

if you are using the satnav all day you will need to charge the system as you are driving especially the phone as the back light on the phone is on while you are using it

i found the tom tom mobile 5 simplicity it self to install and get working

its then just a case of tell it where you want to go and then go there
you can put addresses in using the full address or the post code
you can also download and install points of interest from this great website for such things as safety cameras and other useful places

i hope this is of use to you

erniew
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should say the purchase of tom tom mobile is always stressfull and frustrating and dont be in a hurry

the product its self is superb and highly reccomended

Embarassed
erniew
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no point in buying ttm5 as a package with a phone, you should get a much bett er deal if you get the phone seperatly,

check the list of phones that can work with ttm5 BUT do't buy the ttm5 until you have got your phone[b] and are happy with it.

this is du to the fact that ttm5 is available in different versions for different phone systems, the software is the same to use but must be compatable with the phone you use.

i have the nokia 6600 works well if it's a recent model but very hard to find a proper car cradle with speaker for better volume.

hope this is of help.
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as you can see, always preview your post before you submit!

sorry for shouting Laughing
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best Option For a Complete Novice Reply with quote

Blueshaan wrote:

1.Is it possible to buy the above as a complete package therefore meaning I could obtain from a one stop shop.

No easy answer I'm afraid, you are going to have to do your homework ;)

TomTom lists these phones as being compatible.
Imate SP3
Motorola MPX 220 (Only in Benelux, UK, Aus,Swiss)
Nokia 6260 , 6600 , 6630 , 6670 , 7610 , 7710 , 9300 , 9500
Orange SPV C500 , SPV E200
Qtek 8010 , 8020 , 8060 , 8080
T-Mobile SDA

Might be an idea to print out that list and go into your local mobile shop and see which one suits you and your budget the best.

Personally I use a 3230,, which isn't on the list! Perhaps because it sometimes crashes when using TomTom and the phone at the same time.

Quote:

2.If not bearing in mind that the world is my oyster which phone/network should I be veering towards.

It doesn't matter. Pick whichever network suits the phone side of things the best. TomTom will run just the same no matter which phone network you use. However if you are wanting to use TomTom Traffic, ask them about bundled GPRS.

Quote:

3. What car-mount should I use ?

Car mounts for phones are plentiful, again go into your local shop and you will see a range of them. I use one which attaches to a vent but you can get ones that attach to the windscreen etc.

Quote:

4. I drive quite a noisy Diesel van and volume will be important

You can buy an amplified hands free kit, regardless of TomTom you should have one of these anyway!

Quote:

5. I am not that technically minded and the set up needs to be easy

TomTom Mobile is very easy to install. You just put the card into your phone and the install runs, you need to go onto the TomTom website to get an activation code, and then that's it, you're ready to go.

Quote:

6. Is there anything else i should consider

Yes, power. You will need to provide power to your phone usually from the cig lighter socket, you can get car chargers for most phones. Your phone battery will only a couple of hours if you don't run it from your vans power. TomTom will provide you with a charger for your GPS, which needs charging approx every 8 hours. But you will need to consider this when arranging your power.

Quote:

Stuff magazine recommend in their current issue the following
Nokia 6680
TomTom Mobile 5
Logitech Mobile freedon Headset

Wouldn't fancy having to wear a headset tbh.
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the frustration I'm having ordering TTM5, does it really have to be on a mobile? What's the reasoning behind using it on a mobile?

My personal reasons were I want to occaisionally use it in another car and when out and about on my pushbike, hence the need for portability.

It may be you could look at buying something like TomTom GO (widely available and in stock all over the place) and getting yourself a cheap Pay as you go phone for just making phone calls on instead.

Otherwise I'd agree about the handsfree stuff & power (Can't comment about TT much seeing as the dratted thing hasn't been shipped yet). I have a Nokia BT ear thing which gets uncomfortable after an hour or so on my way home.
I'd also recommend looking on ebay for mobile accessories - lots of people upgrade their phones all the time and find fairly new stuff like chargers don't fit now more - I've just bought a Nokia car charger for me and a Sony Ericsson mains adapter and car charger for my husband for about a tenner in total (including postage).
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhevans_6 wrote:
Given the frustration I'm having ordering TTM5, does it really have to be on a mobile? What's the reasoning behind using it on a mobile?

I know your question isn't to me but I'll point out my reasoning.

I used to use TomTom Navigator on an ipaq and I did and still really do like it. I did have some trouble with the mount and getting the pocket pc in and out often lead to the whole thing falling off the screen which was a pain.

However I then bought a new phone, not intending it for TomTom, and got a handsfree kit. I bought TomTom mobile to use when out of the car. However I tried it to see what it was like in car and found that it was just as good if not better than the ipaq, screen didn't suffer from as much glare and I actually found the smaller screen size an advantage, it's easier to look at the one point, whereas the big ipaq screen was distracting since I only have a small car.

So I'm not committing myself yet but I think I'll get rid of Navigator and just use my phone Smile
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

However I then bought a new phone, not intending it for TomTom, and got a handsfree kit. I bought TomTom mobile to use when out of the car. However I tried it to see what it was like in car and found that it was just as good if not better than the ipaq, screen didn't suffer from as much glare and I actually found the smaller screen size an advantage, it's easier to look at the one point, whereas the big ipaq screen was distracting since I only have a small car.

Interesting, I'm glad to hear it's better, I did wonder about getting it on something like that for the screen size.
But practially, some versions of TTM5 are now taking a heck of a long time to deliver, I've had several journeys now I could have really done with something!
laich71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use nokia 7710 with ttm5

magnetic dash mount for phone from halford £5

Nokia HF-3 Handsfree speaker/Charger £25 ebay

HUGE SCREEN/TOUCH SCREEN.

laich71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine in 2 weeks from tomtom and thats fast reading other peoples experience. Probably cos not many people have this phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: