Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A reasonably satisfied customer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A reasonably satisfied customer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: A reasonably satisfied customer Reply with quote

You may be surprised to read this but I am actually rather pleased with TTN5 and glad I upgraded.
I took delivery of the upgrade a week ago having waited little more than 3 weeks.
I had been running TTN2 then TTN3 on my iPaq 3850 with a Transplant jacket for about 2 years.
The upgrade installed without any difficulty and my observations so far are:
Whilst I missed the 'avoid area' facility initially, I am getting used to the Advanced planning and avoiding parts of the route. Incidentally, I have been able to do all this without a GPS fix.
The graphics and screen rendering are considerably improved.
The facility to use postcodes has so far, for my use, been excellent.
My biggest gripe is that each time I open up TTN, it does not recognise my GPS receiver and I have to reconfigure it - but hey, that involves about 5 screen taps so I can cope. The satellite fix seems much faster than before with TTN3
One of my first journeys was a long trip to the West country. I was familiar with the route and TTN5 suggested the exact route I favour which was slightly different from that TTN3 used to suggest.
I am sure there will be some issues I have yet to discover but, I have never yet a software 'upgrade' of any description that has been problem free. Smile
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I sell you my car? It's absolutely perfect apart from a gearbox problem but runs really well. You'll be able to have it repaired in the future!
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Yeoman says, with the exception that I have no problems whatsoever with TT5 recognising the GPS receiver.

IMOA, TT5 is an improvement over TT3 in many ways. Yes, there have been some compromises, but overall a good package!!

So in answer to widu - my car has nothing wrong with it, so you can keep your lemon!!!
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why compromise on what we had before instead of IMPROVING it? As for the lemon that's exactly my point.
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing the point entirely, in my opinion the software has overall been improved. Yes, some things have been compromised, but the overall package has outweighed these!

The old saying "you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time" comes to mind. TT were never going to please everybody, instead releasing a package they believed would satisfy most people. At the end of the day, if TT5 had every possible function on it then the software would be totally unuseable and slow to use!
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? TTN3 was good. Why not keep those features and improve on them. CPU power has improved since TTN3 and if any extra oomph is needed most will now have it. Instead some features have been taken away and the menu IS now more complicated. The software is very buggy. More people here have problems than have not. Yes it works, but so does a Robin reliant as does a a nice Audi or Beemer. Which woould you like. Would you be happy if Audi deceided to bring out a new version of the A6 with 3 wheels. No you wouldn't and why..because it's stupid.

The maps are better- great, but I really don't think it was ready for release. Mine crashes constantly, I have to hide POIs, connect a GPS to plan routes, etc. Come on that's just stupid.
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I have not experienced any problems with crashes and have not come across any bugs, secondly improvements have been made with being able to download maps, extras etc directly to the pda, thirdly I don't think the menus are complicated and lastly the whole thing has been made smoother and slicker. To be honest I experienced more problems with TT3, it took 4 attempts to install the software (TT5 installed first time), the voices on TT3 kept dissappearing and the navigation on TT5 has been more accurate with fewer single track roads being used.

At the end of the day, you will probably find that people who are happy with TT5 outnumber those that are not or are experiencing problems. People don't tend to praise things when they are happy, but they always complain when things go wrong.
mtvib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but whats the point of introducing software that has such a major fault rendering unusable.
My 4700 gets so hot it after 30 mins, it packs up.
Last time i bothered to use it, it lost all memory including backup, and wiped tomtom entirely from the pda. had to reinstall.
maybe its trying to tell me something!

obviosuly it was rushed to market without adequate testing
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe TT just can't win!

They got loads of pressure and slagging off prior to releasing TT5 because people were fed up waiting - for instance TT5 appeared on GO quite a long time before the PDA version was brought out. To get software working on all the many different platforms and PDA's its going to take longer.

Then when they do release it, probably a bit early to satisfy customer demand, people get on the band waggon again for a good slagging session.

Let's wait until the first upgrade is released before we pass judgment, if things aren't put right and are still bad for some people perhaps thats the time to start complaining! By all accounts the first upgrade is due imminently!
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widu wrote:

The maps are better- great, but I really don't think it was ready for release. Mine crashes constantly, I have to hide POIs, connect a GPS to plan routes, etc. Come on that's just stupid.

1. Mine never crashes, I think this is more to do with the PDA than the software, though I guess if your PDA is on the compatibility list then Tomtom should address this.

2. Why do you have to hide POI's? I've got them on all the time and never have any problems.

3. If you use the 'Advance Planning' to plan a route you dont need a GPS connection

I agree with Yeoman, sure theres a few small bugs (features?) that Tomtom are going to have to deal with but, on the whole, its a good system. Lets face it, Tomtom arn't alone in releasing a product with the occasional bug!
mini1400
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had it crash - unlike TT3 - constantly had to reboot the PDA

Never have to hide POIs

Maps better in places (A130) but worse in others (they've removed a junction on the A12 and TT tries to navigate me on a 15 mile detor because of this Sad

Routing is *much* better

And all on an old PDA that isn't supported Smile

mtvib - maybe your PDA is boke ;)
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem with crashing.
It loads faster than TT3 and gets me from A to B wiuth no problems.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an IPAQ 1710 and TT5 has never crashed (neither did TT4). I cannot display POIs though as unlike TT4 which could cope with more than 12000 POIs being in files that needed displaying, TT5 can't cope with 12.
Rifleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Maxi"]
widu wrote:

1. Mine never crashes, I think this is more to do with the PDA than the software, though I guess if your PDA is on the compatibility list then Tomtom should address this.

2. Why do you have to hide POI's? I've got them on all the time and never have any problems.

3. If you use the 'Advance Planning' to plan a route you dont need a GPS connection

Point 3 :- Because you can't save the route with "Advanced Planning"
If you use itinerary planning which can be saved TT5 refuses to plot a route because it doesn't know where you are. In TT3 you could tell it where to start from. If you do get a gps fix and plot a route with a single "destination" then you are shown the chosen route on the map. If you select some roads to avoid then save the intinerary it forgets the avoided roads the next time you load it up and you have to set the avoids all over again. If you plot an itinerary with multiple destinations TT5 only shows you the route to the first destination. You can't see the rest of the route until you reach the first destination.

Not exactly "Advanced planning" is it ??
Come on guys, accept that this feature is complete crap.
The sooner we get the permanent "avoid area" feature and the ability to select a departure point back from TT3 the better. Until then TT5 is useless for any type of advanced planning. IMHO that is Wink
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PPC (Imate Jam/Mda Compact/XDA Mini is a supported device, but suffers from many of the bugs listed in this forum under that heading. I've not put them there, other people have. There's a lot of post about bugs. On the whole, I believe that TTN5 sits somewhere just below TTN3 due to it's lack of functionality.

PS It's rumored that Audi are bringing out the 4th wheel to their 3 wheeler design as fix because of customer complaints. This is the logical course of action, as they had to release the car quickly due to customer demand!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: