Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gatso ID in Poi...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatso ID in Poi...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Gatso ID in Poi... Reply with quote

I have searched all over for the answer to this question - so far no luck but it has to be a simple one:

I have a SafetyCamera OV file that I wish to add 2 PoIs. UsingPoiEdit I can add the name and cordinates. However the existing list I wish to append, gives the names of the various cameras with a 4 digit number. EG:
GATSO:1234 or GATSO:1234@70

I understand 'GATSO' and '@70' parts but what does the 4 figure digit in the name indicate? Who/what assigns/defines it?

(The two new ones are on the A303 in Wiltshire...)
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso ID in Poi... Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
I have searched all over for the answer to this question - so far no luck but it has to be a simple one:

I have a SafetyCamera OV file that I wish to add 2 PoIs. UsingPoiEdit I can add the name and cordinates. However the existing list I wish to append, gives the names of the various cameras with a 4 digit number. EG:

I understand 'GATSO' and '@70' parts but what does the 4 figure digit in the name indicate? Who/what assigns/defines it?

The PocketGPS camera database team assign the number (I believe).
You can give them whatever name you wish it doesn't make any difference. But unless you submit them to the database team they won't be added to the official list.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso ID in Poi... Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Donald wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The PocketGPS camera database team assign the number (I believe).
You can give them whatever name you wish it doesn't make any difference. But unless you submit them to the database team they won't be added to the official list.

It is my intention to email them with the info, however, I want to send it to them in the correct format/protocol etc. I have 2 Gatsos to add and 1 Mobile. The data needed is the name and the two cordinates

Perhaps I should just call it GATSO and MOBILE and see what happens...
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso ID in Poi... Reply with quote

Donald wrote:

It is my intention to email them with the info, however, I want to send it to them in the correct format/protocol etc. I have 2 Gatsos to add and 1 Mobile. The data needed is the name and the two cordinates

Perhaps I should just call it GATSO and MOBILE and see what happens...

You don't need to give them a name, they will assign the name using their own scheme.

Just tell them the coordinates of the camera and the speed limit in which it resides. They will do the rest.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt is correct, the four-digit ID number is allocated by Richard (oldie), who is the PocketGPSWorld camera database administrator.

If you download the Zip’d PocketGPSWorld camera database, you’ll see a file called readme.txt. That file gives information on how to send in new cameras and updates:

PocketGPSWorld camera database readme.txt file wrote:
Update guidelines
--------------------------

Please email updates to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com

The accuracy of the database is determined by the quality of the data that you send in. To add a camera to the database we require the following:-

Position: Longitude/Latitude coordinates, or OS reference, or CheckPOInt/POIWarner/GPSAssist OV2 file, or updated release OV2 file, or AutoRoute map, or Travel-i CSV file, or link to position defined using Streetmap.
Camera type: Gatso/Truvelo, Red-light, SPECS, Mobile, Temporary
Speed: Speed limit in force on the road (not necessary for red-light cameras)

To have a camera removed from the database specify the ID, eg GATSO:1234 or the camera position (as above).

The next two items will help remove those doubts which can creep in when adding cameras

Nearby cameras: Confirm the presence of nearby cameras, eg GATSO:1234 exists.

Red-light cameras: For red-light cameras located on dual carriageways please specify which carriageway the camera is on, eg westbound carriageway.

Update format
--------------------
If you are emailing updates in text format, as opposed to attaching TomTom overlays (*.OV2), then entries in the following format will be appreciated.

Longitude,Latitude,Name:m@nn,"Information #AA" where

Longitude and Latitude are in decimal degrees if possible (but any format will be accepted)
Name is your surname, m is a unique id (1,2,3,...) or existing camera ID, nn is the speed zone (30,40,...)
Information is explanatory text
#AA denotes camera type (#G Gatso, #GT Truvelo, #R Red light, #M Mobile, #S S.P.E.C.S, #T Temporary/Roadworks)

For example
-0.12345,51.23456,Davies:1@40,"A325 Farnborough Road. Northbound #G"
GATSO:1234,"Does not exist"
GATSO:3456,"Redlight camera. On A325 #R"

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those instructions are the exact reason I've been reluctant to send in any camera information.

FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR too complicated.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
And those instructions are the exact reason I've been reluctant to send in any camera information.

FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR too complicated.

Read it through a few times and practice writing out a few cameras. You should find you get the hang of it after a few go's.

Come on, I'm a girl and I get it! ;-) Mr. Green Angel

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those instructions may look complicated but if you break them down into smaller parts and then reread them (with a cup of coffee) they do make sense. Honest Smile.

If you use the above format then it makes it easier for Richard to process them. As long as you get the longitude and latitude and if possible the speed limit at the scene, then by browsing the map in your SatNav when you get home you can fill in the other information. Here’s how Bo Peep and I submit camera updates to Richard:

Privateer wrote:
Cameras to delete
GATSO:5193@30,"Bobmore Lane, Marlow, #G, camera not found nor any trace of one ever being there"

Cameras to move
None at the moment.

Cameras to add
-0.76815, 51.57782,PrivateerBoPeep:0002@30,"A4155 Little Marlow Road, Marlow, SW bound. #G"

Cameras to change type (i.e. Gatso to Truvelo or red light, etc.)
None at the moment.

Cameras verified: i.e. Speed limits of existing speed cameras that are otherwise correct
None at the moment.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
MarkHewitt is correct, the four-digit ID number is allocated by Richard (oldie), who is the PocketGPSWorld camera database administrator.

If you download the Zip’d PocketGPSWorld camera database, you’ll see a file called readme.txt. That file gives information on how to send in new cameras and updates:

Opps - I did read the readme before posting but I failed to scroll down - I feel very red faced! Embarassed

Thanks for pointing me back!

A further question on this subject: I have the coordinates for one camera (heading west) and the other camera is on the other side of the dual cariageway (reading traffic heading East) With the westerly camera, I was able to stop under it (safely) and get a GPS reading. The one on tuther side, I was only able to stop on a slip road about 10 yards to its north and get a reading. Will those readings be enough to define the locations, especially it TomTom is set to give audio warning "Only if on Route"
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donald,

Camera locations must only be recorded if it is safe to do so, for both you and other people in the vicinity of the camera. We would like the camera locations to be as accurate as possible but as I said above, safety comes first! We don’t want to lose valuable camera spotters!!! 8O

10 yards is very good. Most people, who capture cameras, do so when they travel past them. When we capture camera locations, Bo Peep will often capture the camera and "hit the button" at the moment we pass the camera. This allows me to concentrate 100% on driving. Where possible (read where safe to do so for us and other road users) I reduce the vehicle’s speed by 10 or even 20 mph less than the posted speed limit just so we can get a more accurate location.

If you mention, when you submit the location, which carriageway the cameras are on or which direction they are set to photograph then Richard can place the cameras in the right area.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi Donald,

10 yards is very good. Most people, who capture cameras, do so when they travel past them. When we capture camera locations, Bo Peep will often capture the camera and "hit the button" at the moment we pass the camera. This allows me to concentrate 100% on driving. Where possible (read where safe to do so for us and other road users) I reduce the vehicle’s speed by 10 or even 20 mph less than the posted speed limit just so we can get a more accurate location.

Regards,

Hi Robert
Thanks that was just the sort of info i needed. Yes I was careful in stopping. Nothing behind me for several hundred yards...

You posting refered to Bo Peep. As a newbie to this forum, I query what or who is BoPeep?

I am hoping that you may be refering to a plug-in/overlay that allows a gps position to be captured at the touch of the screen whils on the move.

I am seeking such a facility, so that a list of cordinates can later be edited in, say, PoiEdit etc...
Please advise on Bo Peep... Wink
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha!! Laughing

Thank you, Donald. I have not been feeling very well today, but reading your last post really made me smile! ;-)

I have been called many things in my time, but never a 'plug-in/overlay'!! Laughing

I am Bo Peep - one of the rather nice moderators on this forum. ;-) Scroll back through this topic and you'll see that I posted in it earlier on today.

Seriously, when Privateer mentioned me in his post, it's because we are a couple and have done a lot of camera spotting together. I was usually the one who pressed the button to capture the camera so that he didn't have to take his eyes off the road whilst he was driving. We haven't done much recently as all of the known cameras in our area have been captured.

If you haven't got your own 'Bo Peep' (and we're pretty few and far between ;-) ), you can always get any passenger in your car to do the honours for you. If you travel with older children in the car it may give them something to do on the journey, providing you trust them with the valuable equipment! ;-)

Hope this has cleared up any confusion. Mr. Green

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Ha ha ha!! Laughing

Thank you, Donald. I have not been feeling very well today, but reading your last post really made me smile! ;-)

I have been called many things in my time, but never a 'plug-in/overlay'!! Laughing

I am Bo Peep - one of the rather nice moderators on this forum. ;-) Scroll back through this topic and you'll see that I posted in it earlier on today.

Seriously, when Privateer mentioned me in his post, it's because we are a couple and have done a lot of camera spotting together. I was usually the one who pressed the button to capture the camera so that he didn't have to take his eyes off the road whilst he was driving. We haven't done much recently as all of the known cameras in our area have been captured.

If you haven't got your own 'Bo Peep' (and we're pretty few and far between ;-) ), you can always get any passenger in your car to do the honours for you. If you travel with older children in the car it may give them something to do on the journey, providing you trust them with the valuable equipment! ;-)

Hope this has cleared up any confusion. Mr. Green

Regards,

Bo Peep.

Greetings Bo Peep Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

That made me chuckle.... Thanks for the comments... I do have a Bo Peep but she still uses snowpake on the screen!

What would be fantastic is a feature in TT that would log a set of cordnates (with a datetime group) at the touch (maybe two touches)... that would be a neat addon or (achem) an overlay Wink Wink Wink
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
What would be fantastic is a feature in TT that would log a set of coordinates (with a date time group) at the touch (maybe two touches)... that would be a neat add on or (achem) an overlay

GPSAssist and CheckPOInt are 2 third party add ons that do just that, as well as being extremely configurable as to distance and time in announcing your approach to Speed related Gatso and Mobile cameras.

Unfortunately neither of them will work with TomTom V 5 or TT Go's as they were produced for TomTom V3.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Donald wrote:
What would be fantastic is a feature in TT that would log a set of coordinates (with a date time group) at the touch (maybe two touches)... that would be a neat add on or (achem) an overlay

GPSAssist and CheckPOInt are 2 third party add ons that do just that, as well as being extremely configurable as to distance and time in announcing your approach to Speed related Gatso and Mobile cameras.

Unfortunately neither of them will work with TomTom V 5 or TT Go's as they were produced for TomTom V3.

Thanks for that zda - I almost feel like reverting back to TT3 but TT5 is so much better... never mind, I will have to wait a while....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: