Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does all GPS software suck?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does all GPS software suck?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Does all GPS software suck? Reply with quote

I've got used to ttn5 and and can live with it but it's certainly underwelming in most respects so I thought after 4 years I'd look for something else.

Viamichelin - I have mapsonic 3.1 on my palm and its ok - not great but does the job for my wife - espceially considering its running on a tungsten e.

Navigon - looking through the other forums Navigon have removed TMS (traffic) from their latest uk version and looking at the users comments it a massive step backwards in usability etc.

Copilot - great forum as users battle with each other and Dave - but this appears to be riddled with bugs or is just hard to install correctly for some /most users and appears to have serious issues with its "live" services.

Not sure about the rest but (taking into account the fact that users mostly post with problems) there doesn't appear to be a clear winner.

So could Lutz be right - is the future Mapopolis? I've tried this and didn't like the interface and the Navteq maps (downloadable so should be bang up to date) are worse than teleatlas in my home area.

Thinking back to the launch of ttn3 with its unusable address search - which tomtom did sort out and produced a fine product - I can't beleive that we have taken such a massive step backwards again.

Here's hoping that tomtom care enough about pda's to correct the shortcomings but really has gps come to far to quickly?

What most users wanted was ttn3 with new maps why as CONSUMERS could we buy them?

So does all GPS software suck? Answers on a post card please!

Rant over (posted this whilst waiting for dell x50v to come back to life after using ttn5 for 3 hours this morning - on the compatible list but clearly never tested with the finished product, ditto HP 4700).

Ian
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Does all GPS software suck? Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
Does all GPS software suck?

From what I have seen and heard, I'm inclined to agree with you. Most of the stuff out there is pretty immature.

Mapopolis has a LOT of very cool features (including text to speech) but I don't like the map display. Confused and the Smartphone version has been in beta for so long, you wonder if they will ever release it. They need to stabilise the product, shoot the programmers and ship the product rather than adding new features to the beta.

CoPilot has a nice map display (once you have customised the road colours) but it's routing is completely broken, it uses 10 times as much memory as Mapopolis (even without text to speech which Mapopolis can do in 1/10th of the memory space), it's riddled with bugs and it crashes far too often.

Garmin GPS units don't do traffic, live tracking, speed camera alerts or text to speech, but Garmin have been in this business for quite a while so they do what it says on the box and they do it well.

So, Garmin gets my vote as the "least sucky" system out there at the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: