Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 5 with Mac OS X
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 5 with Mac OS X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: TomTom Nav 5 with Mac OS X Reply with quote

Hi! My first post to Pocket GPS Forums. I'm in the US and what brought me here is an interest in using my TomTom Nav5/Palm OS combination for GeoCaching. I was searching for a method to input "waypoints" or specific coordinates into TomTom Navigator 5 for the Palm. I see that those of you running PocketPC have figured out a method using the Itinerary function but I don't seem to find the same functionality under the Palm OS version. Perhaps it's because I'm too new to all of this GPS stuff? But, I did figure it all out enough to get CacheMate and CacheNav installed. So, once I'm right at a GeoCache location, I can switch to those applications on the Palm and find the Cache. But getting to the general Cache location via TomTom Nav 5 appears to be a problem. A problem that I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to solve until TomTom changes or updates the software.

Anyway, that's not really the point of my first topic. I wanted to, hopefully, help some of you that might be having trouble installing TomTom Navigator 5 on your Palm device via a Macintosh running Mac OS X. I was one of the first people in the US to get Navigator 5 (Bluetooth) and I quickly discovered that the TomTom Conduit that is installed by Navigator 5's Mac installer is NOT compatible with HotSync (or Missing Sync for that matter). The TomTom Setup application on the initial Navigator 5 install CDs just doesn't work on the Mac.

Well, after several telephone calls to TomTom product support here in the US, they eventually gave me a link to download a newer version of the TomTom Setup application for the Mac. Once I had that TomTom Setup application on my hard drive, all was well.

If you are a Macintosh user and you are not having any luck installing the TomTom Navigator 5 software to your Palm OS device, you want to go to this link and download the TomTom Setup application:

http://www.tomtom.com/3243

This newer TomTom Setup installs a completely different TomTom Conduit file and the new TomTom Conduit is properly recognized by both HotSync and Missing Sync. Works great! Just keep the new TomTom Setup file on your hard drive and run it from there. It will automatically access the remaining files needed on the CD in your CD drive.

Now... If I can just get TomTom to update the Nav 5 software for Palm to allow Coordinate navigation. Who decided to leave that feature out? It just doesn't make any sense. The software allows you to create a custom POI category (I was calling mine "Geocaches") but it won't let you add a new POI to your new category via coordinates. STUPID!

Anyway... thank you for the great forum. I don't think the US has anything to match. At least, I've not been able to find it.

Mark
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I too am a Mac User (OSX version 10.3.9) and a Palm T3 user. I used my Windows PC at work to install TT5 on my Palm. It was a struggle, as I could not get it the maps to install via my card reader. I eventually had to hotsync both the application and the maps onto my Palm. During my conversations with Tomtom Support they told me that a Macintosh Installer was on its way and to expect it sooner rather than later this year. I guess they have managed to sneak it out. They might have made a bit more of a noise about it!!

Sorry I cannot reciprocate by giving you advice on your Geocaching problem, hopefully someone will help you out.

Welcome to the forum!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: