Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Great_Britian_Plus-Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Great_Britian_Plus-Map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markj63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Great_Britian_Plus-Map Reply with quote

I have just installed TTN5 and it's working a dream. I installed the Great_Britian-Map, also on the CD is a Great_Britian_Plus-Map. Does anyone know what the differences are ?

Thanks in advance

MJ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Britain is just Great Britain,
Great Britain plus also has the major roads of Europe on the same map.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plus maps also include the Major Roads of Europe. You only need to load one plus map to have trans-Europe main road planning.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mu71rd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got TomTom 5 for PDA - but can't find any reference to a 'plus' map? Is it on the CD?

My CD is called TomTom Mobile - which seems a bit strange, given the product is TomTom Navigator
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Plus" maps only come with the European map set. Only available as an upgrade as yet.
mu71rd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wel I guess that explains it.

I'm getting a bit confused. Why are those of you upgrading from TT3 to TT5 getting all these European maps, when those of use buying TT5 from scratch are not.

That seems like weird marketing! Maybe they are worried that people think 3 is better than 5, and so they need to give some incentives!

anway, what are the options for me to get the plus map, or complete European maps? I'm certainly not spending £100 on them!
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mu71rd wrote:
Maybe they are worried that people think 3 is better than 5, and so they need to give some incentives!

....is the correct answer.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Europe maps Reply with quote

The big question is, if you installed the complete maps of europe supplied FOC with the TT5 upgrade, how big a memory card do you need? Has anyone tried doing this yet and does it work or by the entire maps of europe are they refering to the GB Plus of they actually mean you can install all supplied CD's?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets assume that you are just installing the specific maps and not including the 'plus' maps in each one, it breaks down something like this:

Code:

Benelux   60
GB   120
Scandanavia   203
Germany / Austria / Switzerland   414
France   255
Italy   200
Spain   111

Giving a total of 1363Mb i.e. 1.37Gb.

Hope that helps.

Portugal isn't on this list as it seems to be only available by installing the Iberia plus map which itself will contain the major roads of the rest of Europe too.
[/code]
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't put all the street level maps for Europe on a single memory card, any more than you would have done for TT3. I have had the Europe maps for a while, and just load my spare card with the country I am visiting. When I need to, I format the card and start again. A useful feature of the TT3 Europe maps was that you could segment the maps of a country into (I think) 50MB chunks - useful when visiting a particular region. With the TT5 replacements you have to take the whole country.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked again to see how much space would be needed to install the plus maps of every country. Now this isnt' the most efficient use of space as the major roads of Europe are going to be duplicated 7 times. But if you can put up with that it comes out like this:

Code:

Benelux      167
GB      217
Scandanavia      301
Germany / Austria / Switzerland      414
France      347
Italy      309
Spain      227

So a 2GB card would just about do the job if you really wanted 'the lot'.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Europe Maps Reply with quote

So, you get access to all maps, but you need 1.3gb to install them? Ouch!

I assume you'd only install what you need at the time.

Do they integrate so that you can drive from say Blackpool to Paris seemlessly? (Assuming you can drive across water....actually, what happens at that point? Does it suggest Euro Tunnel or Ferry or nothing?)
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Europe Maps Reply with quote

MartinBrown wrote:
So, you get access to all maps, but you need 1.3gb to install them? Ouch!

I assume you'd only install what you need at the time.

Of course. Few people are daft enough to want to install all the maps at the same time. I don't know many people who would want street level mapping of the whole of western europe who don't have time to copy maps from their computer. That being said if you were a trans-european lorry driver it might be useful!

Quote:

Do they integrate so that you can drive from say Blackpool to Paris seemlessly? (Assuming you can drive across water....actually, what happens at that point? Does it suggest Euro Tunnel or Ferry or nothing?)

It will suggest various crossings.. I think.

The answer is yes and no. You can't nagivate across maps, at all. However the GB-Plus map also includes the major roads of Europe, so you can navigate directly from your street in Blackpool to Paris... but not a specific street in Paris. To do that you would have to switch to the detailed French map at some point in your journey. But as most people wouldn't travel all that way without stopping it's not going to be a big problem.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course. Few people are daft enough to want to install all the maps at the same time. I don't know many people who would want street level mapping of the whole of western europe who don't have time to copy maps from their computer.

Well I'm one of those people "daft" enough to want street level mapping of the whole of Western Europe on one map. And why not? The TomTom GO 700 will have a huge marketing appeal by having this feature.

No CD's, no Computer, no copying maps, seamless routing across Europe, so why not on the PDA.

As soon as 2GB SD cards sell for a reasonable price then I'll be the first to buy one and copy all the maps to the one card.

At the moment I either need several SD cards or have to lug around my laptop, a card reader and a stack of CD's.

Roger
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom should release a map of Western Europe as a single map, the same way as they do with the USA. At the moment they are dictating to you that you won't be able to buy/afford a storage card of sufficient size.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: