Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommend me a PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend me a PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a PDA Reply with quote

Currently running TTN 5.21 on a MIO168.

However, after suffering problems with loss of signal, map screen going haywire, putting me on incorrect roads, jumping off the road into fields etc etc, I'm considering changing my setup.

I've heard good things about the Globalsat BT338 receiver and I'm looking for a PDA to complement it.

Obviously, I'm looking for something more powerful than my Mio168, but I don't need an all singing all dancing unit, as the PDA will only be used for running TomTom.

Probably looking for an Ipaq, but am open to alternative suggestions.

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Thanks

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bazzer
The GPS receiver that you intend to purchase is about the best that there is on the market ,and one of the best PDAs as far as TT5 is concerned is the Ipaq 2210. I have both. TT5 has never frozen or misbehaved in any way on my PDA. However, I believe that the Ipaq 2210 has been superseded and so I would go for its newer brother or sister. But, when you have made your final choice (and before you dib into your moneybox) I would check out the forum to see how other users get on with Tomtom and the PDA that you have chosen. If they suffer from freezes etc. then stay well clear.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 4700 Reply with quote

The 4700 has been discontinued, I assume there is a replacement or you may pick one up cheap but now that TT have upgraded their version it works without problem and is one of the most powerfull PDAs. Best point though is the VGA screen which makes a big difference.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you are using it for is sat nav why go the expense of a PDA? Why not have a dedicated all in one unit like TT Go or One?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost did that myself

Tho now use the PDA for MP3 and movies when I am away..oh and its not too bad a diary ;o)
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the Dell Axim X51v. This is a WM5 device. Main attractions were the VGA screen which is really crisp and clear, the fast processor, large ROM and RAM and the full feature set. Oh and it was 20% off and free delivery at the time so I got a lot for my 262 quid :D .

People will say you don't need a power device for satnav which is true but I was driven by 20 plus years exposure to PCs and the way in which increasingly sophisticated PC software has driven up processor and memory requirements. I see no reason why the same sort of thing won't happen in the pocket PC arena.

When I built my current desktop PC I made sure there was plenty of headroom to upgrade. That sort of approach is not really possible with pocket PCs given their high degree of integration.

You can see my set up in my sig.below. Once I had got everything talking with some help from this community I have had no problems in practice tho' it must be said I am not an intensive everyday user. Had to get right into the centre of Newcastle-upon-Tyne the other Saturday and TT was excellent. It wanted to take me across a Tyne bridge closed for maintenance but when I turned away it re-routed me perfectly in no time at all.

Good luck!
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a Dell Axim although it is the older X5.

One of my main reasons for getting the Dell was that it has both SD and CF card slots same as the later ones already mentioned.

I can run TomTom from the SD card and use a CF GPS.
Makes a nice self contained handheld unit if necessary or use the CF slot for music if the unit is hard wired in to my old Garmin GPS unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: