Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help please utterly confused new tt5 user/technophobe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help please utterly confused new tt5 user/technophobe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justustwo1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: help please utterly confused new tt5 user/technophobe Reply with quote

can anyone help me,have had an xda2s for few months (alongside laptop running winxp)and have finally splashed out on tt5 but really getting bewildered by it all.sorted out the basics of using it for navigating but want to download poi`s/safety camera sites.i did purchase the tom tom safety camera downloads which i have loaded but quite honestly was very disappointed as not many sites on it at all.im a real novice to all this and cant seem to download your safety camera poi`s despite several attempts and even a hard reset.i did download poiedit download(do i need this?)but was not sure which of the downloads on the page i was suppose to do!(i did top one) im also puzzled when i see on forum that poi`s on tt5 will be limited to around 40 ,i take it this means poi categories rather than individual poi`s?.any chance of some simple guidance from anyone many regards a bleary eyed novice(andy) Embarassed
justustwo1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: help please utterly confused new tt5 user/technophobe Reply with quote

justustwo1965 wrote:
can anyone help me,have had an xda2s for few months (alongside laptop running winxp)and have finally splashed out on tt5 but really getting bewildered by it all.sorted out the basics of using it for navigating but want to download poi`s/safety camera sites.i did purchase the tom tom safety camera downloads which i have loaded but quite honestly was very disappointed as not many sites on it at all.im a real novice to all this and cant seem to download your safety camera poi`s despite several attempts and even a hard reset.i did download poiedit download(do i need this?)but was not sure which of the downloads on the page i was suppose to do!(i did top one) im also puzzled when i see on forum that poi`s on tt5 will be limited to around 40 ,i take it this means poi categories rather than individual poi`s?.any chance of some simple guidance from anyone many regards a bleary eyed novice(andy) Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the number of POIs is probably those visable on the screen at any one time, i to have xda2s and have just loaded tt5 but got no further as yet will try speed cams in the morning and let you know - are you using bluetooth or wired for gps connection? only asking out of interest - if bt does the bt headset work fully - many thanks mike
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasa a minefield to a lot of us when we started out. Hope you've resolved this by now, but just in case. ..

I think you'll find that TTN5 limits you to 40 additional poi's, not 40 in total, nor 40 categories.

Poi Edit is, in my opinion, the best way for newbies (which most of us are, no matter how long we've had a gps system!) to download poi's.

Not sure what you mean by saying you selected the top one. To get the safety camera's from Pocket GPS, you need to select/hilight that site, then select UK, then in the main frame you will see a selection of all the poi's available. In the main frame highlight each poi (certainly all the top 18 poi's) you want to add to your PDA (+PDA) - selecting your GB maps folder on your memory card as the destination for downloading. Then select auto update.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, there a number of entries on the TT part of this forum that deal with it.
justustwo1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
the number of POIs is probably those visable on the screen at any one time, i to have xda2s and have just loaded tt5 but got no further as yet will try speed cams in the morning and let you know - are you using bluetooth or wired for gps connection? only asking out of interest - if bt does the bt headset work fully - many thanks mike
thanks very much for reply , am managing to get on with it all bit by bit and overall i`m quite impressed despite so many negative posts in this forum .last night i checked it out alongside a new Nissan Primera inbuilt system and altough i was quite satisfied with the primeras system (i purchased car for mum and needed it to be very easy to use)but after last night i feel the tt5 is a much better system and wont set you back £1200!!!.
i am using the tom tom bluetooth reciever which works well (longer to get a fix than the pimeras-about double the time)but at present i dont use a bt headset but interested to know if you get any problems with it.i`m still a bit unsure of the poi `s and the amount you can load ,if i can only load @an additional 40 individual points surley i would`nt get all the safety camera sites on. i have loaded tom tom`s saftey camera site(not impressed ,not very comprehensive)and i`m sure i have put more than the 40 individual poi`s on that people have said.if i can only have that extra 40 poi`s can i delete some of the inbuilt tom tom poi`s to allow me more? for instance i don`t think i need there installed MOUNTAIN PASS !!! or MOUNTAIN PEAK !!! thats taking up @15 sites. one last thing is, as a rough figure how much space does the full safety camera download take up on a storage card anyone know?cheers
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justustwo1965 wrote:
i`m still a bit unsure of the poi `s and the amount you can load ,if i can only load @an additional 40 individual points surley i would`nt get all the safety camera sites on. i have loaded tom tom`s saftey camera site(not impressed ,not very comprehensive)and i`m sure i have put more than the 40 individual poi`s on that people have said.if i can only have that extra 40 poi`s can i delete some of the inbuilt tom tom poi`s to allow me more? for instance i don`t think i need there installed MOUNTAIN PASS !!! or MOUNTAIN PEAK !!! thats taking up @15 sites. one last thing is, as a rough figure how much space does the full safety camera download take up on a storage card anyone know?cheers

TT5 allows 40 third-party POI categories and within those categories it is possible to have several hundred thousand (x00,000) individual POI's.

The Safety Camera Database can have 1, 5 or 17 categories accordinging to which set you load. Basically Speed Zoned or not. The files take up just over 200KB of memory, using .ov2 and .bmp files

The built in POI's are held in a file called POI.dat and normally you leave well alone.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clarification on this one, not too sure i will be updating the 4700 with tt5, but the xda at least seems to work - will try wired gps and bt headset when it arrives - not sure when i disable the xda keyboard that i will be able to enter postcodes as no on screen keyboard - mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clarification on this one, not too sure i will be updating the 4700 with tt5, but the xda at least seems to work - will try wired gps and bt headset when it arrives - not sure when i disable the xda keyboard that i will be able to enter postcodes as no on screen keyboard - mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: