Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why upgrade to V6.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why upgrade to V6.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Why upgrade to V6. Reply with quote

I have just been looking at the support answers on ALK's website.

The answer to why upgrade to V6 is as below:

CoPilot 6 is the next generation of Satellite Navigation to reach the Windows Pocket PC Platform. Here's just a small list of enhanced features you will be able to experience if you upgrade to CoPilot 6:-

Updated Premium 2005 maps from NAVTEQ
Hundreds of Thousands of new Points Of Interest
Enhanced 3D View
Enhanced Landscape Support
Improved touch-screen menus with Fat Finger Support
Real-Time Traffic Ready (optional extra)
Clearer directions for Motorway Exits
Enhanced Live Tracking
Automatic Bluetooth GPS Configuration
Full UK 7 digit Postcode Support

Enhanced Points Of Interest

CoPilot 6 now utilises 3rd party OV2 Support. Simply copy an OV2 POI file and associated BMP file to your CoPilot\Save directory and CoPilot 6 will import it on your next start-up and you will be able to take full use of the 3rd Party Points Of Interest which include:-

viewing the new POI's
being alerted of the new POI's
navigating to the new POI's.

UK 7 Digit Postcode Support
CoPilot 6 now takes use of the UK's full 7 Digit Postcodes!

It looks like they have taken onboard some of the major issues from v5.
TrevorFowler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968

It appears from your signature that you use TT5 and CP5. Do you use both together, or did you get one because you found the other unsatisfactory for some reason? I am most interested in how the two mapping systems (Navteq and TeleAtlas) compare. For me, accurate maps are by far the most important aspect of the product. Even without GPS, I want to be able to use my device as a hand-held road atlas.

Even with GPS, the most important aspect is finding you your street without attempting to send you down one-way streets the wrong way.

From the feature list, the upgrade looks exciting.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased TomTom first then went caravanning in Cornwall. While in cornwall i got totally fed up in being taken down single track roadswith grass growning in the middle. This is fine in a car but with a caravan on the back not very wise.

Following this experience I puchased Copilot and have been fairly pleased with the product.

However because of the lack of traffic from ALK I tend to use TomTom for normal trips with out the caravan on the back, and CoPilot when caravanning.

If traffic does come online soon I can see myself sticking to Copilot, and dumping TomTom.
TrevorFowler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

It seems many users in the HGV forum tweak their TomTom setup to put off the routing algorithm froim selecting country lanes. This is achieved by placing a very low speed rating on this type of road. When the "fastest route" option is selected (as opposed to the shortest). the system will tend to avoid these roads.

Tis facility looks as though it is going to be on CP6 which is good. One thing that I thought should be possible is for the software to "learn" the average spped one travels an a particular type of road over time. This may not help the routing algorithm of course, but it might provide a more accurate estimate of arrival time.

My previous (and first) GPS system was Navman Smart St, whose maps were rather long in the tooth. However, as it was my first system, I thought it was fantastic.
DerekFKS85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to CP6 too, although I am not a heavy user I do like using CP5 as I find it does everything I need it to do very well in most instancies.

The 7 digit post code upgrade will be one of the best new features for me as it will make loading a destination very easy.

No doubt this thread will be hijacked by the usual negative people on here soon, but before that happens I have to say it's a nice change reading some positive comments for a change and not the usual boring slagging CP gets.

Derek.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to Mark1968's post regarding the TomTom 5 TeleAtlas and Copilot Navteq maps, I can report my own experience.

TomTom 5 routes down numerous impassable tracks in rural areas, and down prohibited streets in towns and cities.

TomTom 5 also too often becomes confused. For example, immediately after a right turn, TT 5 instructed an about turn, which I did. I was then told to turn right onto the same road I had just left. After that turn too, I was instructed to turn around and go back down the road on which I had done the first about turn. In other words, I was in a perpetual loop comprising turns and about turns.

Added to the above, TT 5's direction pointer frequently wanders off the route, sometimes to the extent that it results in a route recalculation that takes in a nearby road that the TT 5 "thinks" the car is on. This must be the software (poor GPS integration?) as I am using the same hardware with which I use Copilot.

A further serious problem with TT 5 according to my experience is that it often gives late turn instructions. Combined with the long time TT 5 takes to recalculate a route, the result can be dangerous. The late instruction can cause a missed turn, after which the recalculation can cause the driver to lose guidance and miss subsequent turns - thus causing still more recalculation....

Copilot 5 does have its own mapping and guidance problems, but nothing like those outlined above. Once its own serious problems, such as Shortest routing and unclear instructions, are solved, it will, for now, be by far the better of the two applications. As to whether that has been achieved in CP 6, we shall have to wait and see.
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure if the problem is TomTom as along time ago I had the same problems with Navman and what have they both got in common TeleAtlas
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using CP5 for 4 months, I switched to TT5. As Ponderous says, although TT5 advertises the most up to date mapping, I find this hard to believe, as it once tried to direct me the wrong way down a one way street in Macclesfield, and wanted me to turn left down a road on Burnley that had a pavement and bollards across it. How long both of these had been in place I cannot say. Having said that, I encountered many more and frustrating problems with CP5.

My main bug-bear with TomTom is the flakey GPS signal, as it constantly seems to drop out, with the map screen going haywire, and often thinking you are on a different nearby road.

Only today, as I went under a flyover (which took2 seconds at most), TT5 suddenly thought I was on the road above and tried to re-route me.

As I've said before, I don't find myself screaming at my PDA calling it a useless piece of junk using TT5, as I did with CP5.

I really do hope that CP6 proves to be the application that CP5 promised to be, but I will wait until I read many user comments before I decide whether I intend to buy or not. Again, I hope that ALK have taken on board the many documented complaints about CP5 and have actually done something positive to rectify them.

As a choice between TT5 and CP5; definitely TT5 (my opinion). If CP6 proves to be a killer application, then I will gladly change my opinion.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: